Anyone insured with Petplan please read

atillathefun

Jan 7, 2005
Essex
Visit site
Hello
I just thought everyone should be aware if your vet offers you an early settlement discount Petplan Equine do not pay out on vet fees cover the value of the available discount!

For example - my vets offer 10% discount if you pay on the day. I have made a claim to Petplan but as I didn't have the money to pay on the day Petplan will not pay the 10% leaving me to pay 10% of the bill, on top of my excess :eek:

It is not in their T&C's so I am going to fight it all the way but thought if you are insured with them you should know.

I wouldn't want anyone else to find out when they try to make a claim. For me the whole point of having insurance is because I dont have the money to pay the bills but clearly Petplan think otherwise.

Anyone else having the same issue feel free to PM me

Last edited:
I'm not with them, but i think that is terrible! good for you - make sure you DO fight it all the way - cheeky beggars! just out of interest - how do they know your vet does this? i have never heard of a vets offering this, our vets just make you pay within 14 days whatever the amount is, & no discounts :mad:

I was thinking of insuring my new pony with Petplan so this is good to know, although my vet doesn't offer discounts, they just sent out a monthly bill which has to be paid in full!

We too get a monthly bill, to be paid within 14 days ... or 30 days if you call to warn them you'll be late *lol* ... after 30 days, the penalties start.

I'm insured and just had a £2000+ bill due to an accident and they paid up no problem but my vets don't offer any discounted rate.

It is not fair if you have to pick up the 10% at all!

The vets where I had the MRI done offered a staggered discount depending on when you pay. 10% then 5% then the full amount.
NFU paid for 1/2 the MRI so I paid my half with a credit card on the day getting the full 10% discount.
Then NFU paid their half directly to the vets and paid quite quickly so they got 5% discount.
So they ended up paying a bit more than me.

when i first got gypsy i went with pet plan, 18mths down the line i tried to put in a claim for gypsy to have an operation to stop her locking stifles, i put it thru as a proforma claim, because it was for a lot of money. Just as well i did, because they refused to pay out saying it was a "existing condition" It may well have been but i didnt know about it when she was purchased, it didnt show up on the vetting, and vets said it wouldnt show up unless she had locked at point of vetting.

Then to add insult to injury when renewal came up they had put my premium up, i asked why and they said it was because i had put in a claim, that made me really mad and said "you didnt pay out on it" they said "as a good will gesture, we will put premium back down"

I didnt stay with them, i left, because i felt that was exceedingly shocking service, the premiums that i pay doesnt particularly bother me as long as i feel i am getting value for money and good customer service. I felt i was getting neither from them and wont touch them with a barge pole for any of my pets.

btw gypsy never had the op, i found that i could work her thru it and get her fit and keep her fit.

I am with NFU at the min and until i put in a claim i cant comment, hopefully i will never have to put in a claim

cheeky buggers!!!!

im insured with petplan and have claims at the mo but they are taking absolutley ages to pay. wouldnt mind but they are just continuations!

we get a 10% discount with my vets if we pay full amount on the day.....well actually we have to pay on the day unless its agreed otherwise with the manager. we also get free call out days yay.

My vets also do this, pay on the day and you get it 10% cheaper. However, very rare I do this usually just for vaccinations. I am also with Petplan but never had this problem as I tend to wait for my bill at the end of the month. Thanks for sharing this info though

newrider.com