Anyone recommend any particular insurance company?

EllenL62

Sep 3, 2008
Questions in the title really! :) I need to get some insurance for my horse, can anyone recommend any companies or atleast which ones you use?

Have they been easy to deal with if you've had to claim and have they paid out promptly?
Also are some companies substantially more than other companies? taking into account customer service etc. etc.

Any info would be very very appreciated! :)

KBIS have been fab with me. I've made three big claims with them within one insurance year. They paid out really quickly, and paid out for everything which included several hosiptializtion stays.

NFU are great - quick to pay out, never argue about anything, really helpful when changing policy to remove one horse, include a new horse, etc etc.
They paid out just under £12K to my friend for 3 separate claims for just one horse in one single year. And the premium was the saem as quoted by others.

SEIB :D I had a massive claim only three months after i bought my horse, with the potential for it to be much larger, and they sorted things out with my vet with no fuss.

When I turned my horse away last winter, because of financial trouble, I called and explained that he wouldn't be ridden for at least six months and therefore I didn't want to pay the full amount for insurance - no point having us covered for jumping accidents if I wasn't even going to sit on him! So as not to loose my business, they put him on a youngstock and companion horse policy, which is usually for horses who are either retired or not yet backed. Did it all over the phone and offered me a great deal on it as well :)

Ditto Sez about SEIB. When I was obtaining quotes there was a £40 difference per month between their quote and another company who wanted a premium of nearly £60 per month. I found SEIB very friendly and personable, their quote was very reasonable and provided better cover than the more expensive quote I was given.

And I can vouch for SEIB being pretty good at paying out for claims- i've had to claim several times this year for some pretty complicated stuff and they've been really easy and straightforward to deal with. (touch wood-biggest bill has only just been sent off)

Petplan have just paid out a big claim for Ernie no questions asked and other people on our yard have had no problem with them paying out either. Also I think that the premiums are very reasonable and u get a free gift:D
Another girl on our yard is with NFU and they have been great with an expensive claim for her horse too

NFU have been fab with me. I am in the middle of having my horse tested for lameness issues. They have paid promptly all the bills I have sent them. And have just Oked her to go to Edinbrugh Vet School, and have renewed her next years insurance at the same cost.

NFU. Paid out quickly on my claims with no hassle either. Lovely to deal with and make any changes, wouldn't go anywhere else. Great phone support and always ring back if needed.

Heard some horror stories about the cheaper companies not paying out so I'd sooner pay the extra and feel covered.

newrider.com