Anyone used sedolin for clipping?

fjordfan

Jun 28, 2009
north warwickshire
My friend has started to cip my new horse (with my permission) he has half a neck then got very aggitated etc verging on dangerous. Im very tempted just to leave him apart from we are competing at the weekend (he does get very sweatty anyhow which is why I wanted him done) anyway to cut along story short i would have just left it if we werent out this weekend, ive got some sedolin from my vet and the plan is just to even him up by clipping the other side. Ive never used it before- has anyone on here used it? good or bad results?:help:

I used sedalin last year to clip my cob, it took the full tube and a twitch to hold him. Take about an hour to work. My cob is extreme though and very nervous of clippers. My vet is now sending me some other stuff which is highly potent and is the same as the stuff they inject, they don't give it out to everyone though only people they can trust with it and are used to administering medication.

I used to clip horses professionally. Sedalin works to a point but only with some horses. Personally I found they tended to get slightly more stressed as they realised what was happening but couldnt do anything about it. They can tend to sweat up and then you obviously cant clip them.

Its worth a try though as it does work with some horses:D

Never clipped but have used Sedalin on Joe when he had a particularly painful abscess and I needed to clean and poultice it. Also used it with some success on him for other things - he takes to it really well, some don't.

I would say getting him used to it younger is better than trying to do it when he is older. You don't always have to go straight in to try and clip him, just leave them running next to him so he can get used to the noise, run them over him whilst they are switched off etc

He is quite a strange one as he will happily stand and eat his hay with the clippers running and is also quite happy to let me rest them on him, but as soon as she tries to actually clip any hair he explodes. ( blades are not hot or blunt etc) but as its such a small amount that will make him look at least straight i may give it ago. thanks for the advice

Whilst he is young I would try doing a little bit, even if its one sweep then stop, turn them off and treat him, regarding his current clip at least noone else will look the same :wavespin:

Joy used to be sedated for clippimg at her previous home. I took on the task of preparing well inadvance and desensitising.

I personally would be trying to do that now if it were me and my horse. If it meant Joy looked daft then that's the way it would be as I'd take things slowly so she didn't feel overwhelmed and more ok with being clipped.

hmmm...i too have a sensitive horse to clippers.....well did have! now shes super (ish!)

last year i purchased some quieter battery clippers and spent a few weeks desensitising her. Last year i spent ages with a tub of treats and rewarded for everything positive that she did and ignored the bad. It worked really well and i did manage to clip her, but she was really unconfident with them on her neck so her neck was the last bit i did and i did a tiny tiny thin line up to her chin and that was it.

This winter all my hard work from last winter actually paid off, im not sure if you have seen my other thread (http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216516) i did it over three days only this year, i rode her out looking silly but to be honest i didnt want to push her confidence limits! i completed the clip on monday and she really really tried to be good (was still a bit unconfident but didnt do anything bad at all!)

have you tried clipping him on his belly/shoulder? Moet is totally relaxed on her belly and shoulder but gets more nervous on her neck. i start with her shoulder and belly then move up her neck (although did actually do it backwards this time! lol!)

Moet is fine with them touching her but does sometimes does get scared when it cuts the hair, it must tickle. What i found helped this year was cutting a tiny bit, stopping and rubbing it vigorously with my other hand, then repeat, after 3 times she didnt react.

if you desperatly want your horse tidy for the show i would be try clipping after giving sedalin, if no success then get the vet out to sedate. If not too bothered then take as long as it takes to get him used to them.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im going to give it ago later today- if all else fails we will just have to look a bit silly for sunday then i can spend the rest of the winter desensitising him. I can cope with looking a prat!! will post later to discuss clipping session!:unsure:

newrider.com