Are we too old to help?

Coventry celt

Dec 10, 2005
What do you rekon to Grown ups who help at Riding schools?

Ok, so at 23, I realise some of you would consider me little more than a nipper myself, but I'm older than your average horse mad teenager. But after getting back into Riding in January, I asked this week about helping at the Riding school where I have lessons, on a saturday.

Now I'm having second thoughts. I'm a Brownie Guide leader, and have helped at GirlGuide camps, so i have no problems being aroung kids (like they don't annoy me or anything - i think they're quite fun!)
But will they think I'm some kind of wierdo? maybe a little bit special/touched/tardy?? (no disrespect meant, I just don't know how to say that without it being all wordy) or maybe they'll think something worse?? (like...a certain guy with a ranch and a bad nose job?)

I just want those things that came naturally years ago to be natural again - knowing how to put a bridle on, without hanging myself in it, leading a horse, picking feet out, mucking out - maybe learn a little more....I'm a little eccentric, maybe, but I'm no wierdo!

Who thinks I should just forget it and stick with my old people riding lessons in the week??

Won't worry about it - there's loads of places where there are adult helper. And you'll find most of the 'kiddy' helpers are 14 or 15, which isn't all that big an age gap.

You'll probably find you'll get more out of it than someone younger - the staff are usually happier giving older helper the responsibility.

Only problem you'll have is with 'clique' (sp?) groups of girls looking down on you and being snotty :rolleyes:

Go along and enjoy yourself - no-one will think you at all weird

:eek: No i would suggest you get stuck in and help at the yard, your not old at all, i started helping my local yard when i was 30 and i loved every minute of it :D Still do.......... bank holiday monday i was helping out with the pony club show, and i had a ball of a time :D I even got entered for the last team race as a kid pulled out, so i tacked up my 15"2 loan horse and had a right giggle and i came first :p but i declined first place as i was only there to make the numbers up, however i did get a rosette for being a good sport :rolleyes:

most yards would welcome a sensible adult to help out. Not sure i qualify as sensible though LOL :rolleyes:

At 23 you're still a youngster! Go for it if you want to do it. I started back to riding when I was approaching 40 and used to work at my RS at weekends and on my days off. Nobody thought I was weird, well, except that they thought that I was friends with the YO and had been put in to spy! Once we sorted that out everything was fine :)

Go for it. They'll probably appreciate having somebody a little more mature than the kids! I started back riding at about 40 and used to help at my RS. There was a lady there who was in her sixties who used to help at weekends. Just enjoy it and try not to worry about what everyone else is thinking.

At the riding school/livery where I keep my mare there are helpers/workers of all ages (probably 14 - 50). If I need someone to babysit my youngster for a few minutes while I do something, I only ever ask the more mature and responsible people.

Any good riding centre I am sure would be delighted to have you.

Im 31 and I help out at the RS where I ride. Dont worry about feeling silly just get in there and do it.

I find the younger kids look to me for assistance (even If I dont know the answer! and even tho theyre all there more than me!) None of them have ever look ed down on me or been cliquey against me, Im always offered their chocolates and sweets!

As a mature person myself, it wouldn't worry me at all if a group of young girls looked down on me and was snotty. When you get to a certain age, you have all the confidence (and more) in the world. I might pity someone being snotty but it wouldn't bother me at all. Their problem, not mine!!!!

we love adult helpers. we are overrun by kids who are enthusiastic but too young to be of much use, and have a real shortage of people who, for instance, we can ask ot go and supervise a bunch of kids poo-picking, or send up to the field alone, or can go as a spare for the instructor on a walk-out.

i offered to help one at my first yard. i got some VERY funny looks, so decided not to bother in the end :rolleyes: motive behind offering to help was that i didnt know anyone at the yard ... that never really changed :(

We would love some adult help at our yard.We deal in horses but also do lessons and hacks and it is difficult to find enough mature helpers that are capable of riding a variety of horses that are willing to help out.

I don't know what it's like with you but at my RS the majority of paid workers are in their 20s so there's a lot of 'older' people around the yard.
If you do lessons midweek then could you help out sometime during the week? That would be a kid-free zone.
Are you allowed to tack up/untack your own horse at your lesson? At my RS they just leave you to it and you can groom the horse or whatever if you come a bit early (and can find a brush somewhere!) Even asking if you can do that sort of stuff with the horse you ride at the lessons would be good experience.

Edit - ps. I am 20 - do I count as a 'mature rider'? Just started riding last year and loving it :)

Last edited:
Mehitabel said:
we love adult helpers. we are overrun by kids who are enthusiastic but too young to be of much use, and have a real shortage of people who, for instance, we can ask ot go and supervise a bunch of kids poo-picking, or send up to the field alone, or can go as a spare for the instructor on a walk-out.

Like me :D I'm nearly 21 and the next oldest Saturday helper is 13, so the head girl gives me jobs that I can do unsupervised which frees her up to keep an eye on the kids!

When you're a bit older and know what you're doing you are a great asset to any yard, and in my experience the kids look up to you rather than down on you. They tend to come to me for advice when the head girl is busy. On my second Saturday there, there was a new helper who took one look at me - talking to a little group of 12-year-olds - and assumed I was in charge :cool:

I'm 45 and regularly help out at my RS. I've wondered the same as you, if people wouldn't think I was either a) some kind of weirdo, or b) pining after the company of little ones that I perhaps couldn't have myself.

Truth is, I find most children incredibly annoying, but serious horse kids I like, so maybe I do it partly so people won't find out I'm your basic child-hater.:D

At shows, I'm always the only non-parent other than the YO and her daughter. I go to watch Quanah, but since his classes are always in the afternoon I generally spend mornings helping out with the short-stirrup division.;) The kids actually seem to love having an extra adult around.:)

It really is a good way to develop skill at things like tacking up, etc. so it almost becomes second nature.

Go for it.:)

We had folk a lot older than you wanting to come and help out, rather have someone over 20 than under 20 personally.

notpoodle said:
i offered to help one at my first yard. i got some VERY funny looks, so decided not to bother in the end :rolleyes: motive behind offering to help was that i didnt know anyone at the yard ... that never really changed :(

When i asked, the head girl asked me if my hat was too tight!
(I did have a big hat-mark on my forehead, tho!)

I helped at my local RS every other sunday - although have missed a few weeks recently but the YM is really grateful of my help, I don't get paid or any free tuition but I don't mind she is often grateful of help with walk outs for little kids etc having an extra adult along especially with the tiny tots and wen they require leading in lessons etc.

Not getting anything back apart from personal satisfaction doesn't bother me because it means that if I wanna slope off for a ciggy break or at lunchtime go home I can, it's all on my terms :D

It all boils down to insurance doesnt it?
I wish you luck because it depends on the school.
My first lessons were at a place where you could call in and watch lessons, or be invited to meet livery horses by their owners at weekends.
They were very busy at weekends. So, if you were a regular client whose face was known, and had done their BHS Stage 1 course (as I had) they were only too glad to ask you if you could put away a horse or go and fetch one.
It wasnt exactly working. But I really liked that and miss it.
At the yard where I've ridden for the last three years clients are not allowed to do anything unless in the presence of a staff member, and "staff" seems to include child helpers!
Yes, I hate finding an (apparently) eleven year old child at my shoulder eager to lead out my horse, and surprised to learn that you know how to tighten your own girth?
Yes, I did ask when I (illegally) untacked a week or two ago. And was told that it was not my competence which was in question. But that I wasnt qualified.
This is why I shall buy my own horse or find one to share. Children it seems are allowed to learn on the job. But adults not.

Skib, that sucks! It sounds like you've found a really friendly place, there!!
The lady I asked at the place I go to was cold, but not THAT cold!! I honestly think that most places wouldn't be so bad, and certainly, if you decided to share a horse, most owners would probably give some of their new spare time to make sure their horse is being looked after properly!!

And surely, if you've done your stage 1, then you're qualified, or at least more qualified than the eleven year olds??

newrider.com