Argh! friends and babies driving me nuts!!!

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
EVERYONE i know seems to be pregnant!! i know for them it must be a wonderful thing and i will smile politely, congratulate them etc. etc. however i don't really want to have extended conversations on which the the best cot, what happened in ante natal classes. Biggest annoyance is one friend whinging about not being able to see her loan horse! i know she's putting her safety first but nothing would keep me from my boys, not even a baby bump!

I have little interest in babies, i don't want kids (well certainly not at the moment, maybe not ever!) and i hate being bored to tears with baby talk! i'm not allowed to talk about my horses, why should i listen to baby talk?! as an excuse to hole myself up, i've ordered a 5 season box set of supernatural as an excuse to dodge lunch and dinner invites for the next, erm, 7-9 months?!!

am i just a miserable old so and so? anyone else unable to stand baby talk?!

edited to add i do have some wonderful friends who do have babies and don't ram them down my throat, why can't the others be the same?!

Yup they drive me mad as well! :giggle:

Thankfully I don't have any friends who have babies, or are going to be having babies any time soon!

i hate being bored to tears with baby talk! i'm not allowed to talk about my horses, why should i listen to baby talk?!

This is a good point!!! And no you are not a miserable so and so or maybe I am too?!! In exactly the same position as you - all my friends appear to be pregnant or have just given birth and do think it should be the number one topic of conversation.

What really really bugs me (and in fact also bugs one of my normal pregnant friends too) is that one of our friends has been complaining continuously and bitterly for the last 8 months about being pregnant etc, what she can't do anymore etc, it's her second so she knew what she was letting herself in for surely?!!

I've had two babies and even talking about babies gets on my nerves sometimes. My boss's wife is pregnant plus two other people who i work with so it's all babies at the mo.

Luckily i can't have anymore! :smile:

everyone i know seems to be pregnant!! I know for them it must be a wonderful thing and i will smile politely, congratulate them etc. Etc. However i don't really want to have extended conversations on which the the best cot, what happened in ante natal classes. Biggest annoyance is one friend whinging about not being able to see her loan horse! I know she's putting her safety first but nothing would keep me from my boys, not even a baby bump!

I have little interest in babies, i don't want kids (well certainly not at the moment, maybe not ever!) and i hate being bored to tears with baby talk! I'm not allowed to talk about my horses, why should i listen to baby talk?! As an excuse to hole myself up, i've ordered a 5 season box set of supernatural as an excuse to dodge lunch and dinner invites for the next, erm, 7-9 months?!!

Am i just a miserable old so and so? Anyone else unable to stand baby talk?!

Edited to add i do have some wonderful friends who do have babies and don't ram them down my throat, why can't the others be the same?!

totally agree!!

Luckily I'm not surrounded by baby talk, but people do look at me as though I'm a freak when I say I don't really want children. I like children .. other people's children that I can give back at the end of the day! My OH is very 'not-kids' if it happened that I became pregnant so be it but we are definitely not 'trying'.

As a child I sort of thought that as I got into my late twenties I might get more 'broody' and want children ... not happened yet and I'm 26!

I'd love to have babies and will be trying as soon as OH and I have a house and are settled but I don't think I'd be going on for non-stop baby talk!

My brother & his wife are trying for a family now. He has a commission based salary & she has 1 day guaranteed work per week. They live with her parents and cant afford to get a house on their own. I personally think they should wait until they can afford to keep themselves before they start having kids but when they were up over Christmas all they went on about was baby this & baby that, they were obsessed with a toddler 2 tables away in a restaurant when we went out for dinner and are just generally insufferable about the whole subject! :sleep:

If you're not allowed to talk horses then they definitely shouldn't be allowed to bore you senseless with the baby talk.

(Edited to add, I used the Chuck season 1-3 box sets to avoid it over the holidays :wink:)

I am totally disinterested in baby-talk too! :rolleyes:

They scare me. I don't want to hold them. I don't want to 'coo coo' over them. I REALLY don't want to feel bumps moving inside ladies' tummies.

I am far too selfish to have babies..I admit this. It's true.

that's me! i held my two cousins but they are family. And i did once do a reiki session on my heavily pregnant, non-whingy friend which was amazing and i've a real connection with her little girl. But others, no.

volcy, that's my attitude with my friend. She's had a baby before, she knew she didn't want to ride/handle horses whilst pregnant so really she has no grounds to complain!! she's very over dramatic aswell which gets on my wick... I guess i'm at the age where friends are getting married and having babies and there is this pressure to follow suit. I know it's only pressure as you percieve it as being so, but it's there.

It's reassuring to see i'm not alone! i'd rather have animals than children :p

I am 34 OH is 46 no children and we dont want any and we are sick of answering questions about our lack of children and the comments about 'you dont kow what you are missing' 'you will regret it when you are older' etc etc.

If you are not a dog person I dont go round telling you what you are missing out on, screw you and let us live our life how we want.

Baby talk bores me rigid and I have four kids. I don't force them down other people's throats any more than I force horses down the throats of the non-horsey friends.

I suppose the thing is having babies is a huge thing - life is never the same afterwards and talking about them is one way of dealing with that change.

Then again I am not particularly maternal other than towards my own kids. I work with kids and enjoy that but endless baby talk just does nothing for me...

Baby talk bores me rigid and I have four kids. I don't force them down other people's throats any more than I force horses down the throats of the non-horsey friends.

I suppose the thing is having babies is a huge thing - life is never the same afterwards and talking about them is one way of dealing with that change.

Then again I am not particularly maternal other than towards my own kids. I work with kids and enjoy that but endless baby talk just does nothing for me...

Yep, I'm similar...love my own kids BUT don't like baby talk. I like other children just don't want to hear about babies all the time.

Maybe it's because I've had 5 so it bores me slightly now.

I still have a toddler but think I'd rather cut a arm off rather then go to a toddler and mums group lol.

EVERYONE i know seems to be pregnant!! i know for them it must be a wonderful thing and i will smile politely, congratulate them etc. etc. however i don't really want to have extended conversations on which the the best cot, what happened in ante natal classes. Biggest annoyance is one friend whinging about not being able to see her loan horse! i know she's putting her safety first but nothing would keep me from my boys, not even a baby bump!

I have little interest in babies, i don't want kids (well certainly not at the moment, maybe not ever!) and i hate being bored to tears with baby talk! i'm not allowed to talk about my horses, why should i listen to baby talk?! as an excuse to hole myself up, i've ordered a 5 season box set of supernatural as an excuse to dodge lunch and dinner invites for the next, erm, 7-9 months?!!

am i just a miserable old so and so? anyone else unable to stand baby talk?!

edited to add i do have some wonderful friends who do have babies and don't ram them down my throat, why can't the others be the same?!

im the same as you and my biggest gripe is for those who post status updates on facebook about first poo's/smiles or something else equally rubbish.it drives me mental :banghead:

I'm the same!!! Glad it's not just me. Bores the hell out of me, I have no interest but will happily listen, for a little while. As you said, I don't bang on about the horse all the time as I know that's not for everyone!

I have one friend who has 2 kids but she's happy to talk about everything and admits that constant baby talk bores her too, she say's she has a life out side babies the same as I have a life outside horses and my job etc.

And this:

im the same as you and my biggest gripe is for those who post status updates on facebook about first poo's/smiles or something else equally rubbish.it drives me mental :banghead:

Drives me bonkers too! Especially someone I was at school with. She has 4 kids, doesn't work, is single (and was during her last 2 pregnancies) and lives in a 2 bed flat and moans about how there's not enough room for them all!! She loves to tell us all when one of her kids has diarrhea or whatever. NICE!:frown: Grrr!!!!

I will just say though that I am guilty of facebook updates about the children but that's because most of my facebook friends are family and most of them family that don't live that close to us.

I don't have a prob about status saying about milestones, but then I do have a habit of putting my horses milestones as statuses too which probably annoys the non horsey friends.

I have no interest in baby talk or anything more than a quick cuddle and sniff of others babies. Thankfully as I'm a bit older am more likely to get horrible teenager stories! That said I cam remember when pregnant with my first the hormones kicked in and coupled with it being a low point in my life and there being some health problems with baby - I was utterly obsessed and could think of nothing else. I know it's boring and annoying but is just a short period in the greater scheme of things. Smile, switch off and dream about riding then insist on telling them in great detail about your latest horsey trauma/achievement. After all isn't that what friends are for?

i suppose i resent being a shoulder to cry on when THEY show very little interest in what's going on in my life and can at times be quite rude about things. I know it's huge, life changing, etc. having a baby but it's their choice. Like buying a horse, why don't they research it before baby appears?! don't know why they think i'd have any words of wisdom on the subject...!! It's like they now have blinkers on and it's an unwritten rule that we MUST talk babies and two fingers up to me who has none and no interest in having one. i think avoidance is the best tactic for the moment :D they know not to ask me the dreaded "so when will it be your turn" question coz i'd kneecap them! like someone said before, i'm too selfish to have kids. I'd resent the impact they'd have on my career and on my horses. If toby can't share me with an OH, he couldn't cope with a baby. Toby is my baby anyway :D

I have an 8 yo son whom I love to bits but.... I dont "do" babies whether thats mine or someone elses - I couldnt wait for my son to walk and talk so why the hell would I want to coo over someone elses child?

And, some people will hate me for this but - I get peed off with female friends whipping boobs out at the dinner table - sorry but if you cant be discret about it then please go and sit somewhere else!! I havent spoken to one "friend" for over a year as she wanted to bring her youngest child to a very posh hotel that we were going to for lunch last year - The Scotman in Edinburgh - myself and others all said no, def no babies and she took the huff! The whole lunch would have been spent with her talking about her home birth, breast feeding and nappies - save it for the next NCT coffee morning!!

I cannot see babies going down well in The Scotsman!! I remember when i worked as a waitress, all the places i worked were happy for women to breast feed however our male members of staff (16/17 years old) were not comfortable about serving a woman with her boobs out so we'd always swap and i'd do it.

I'll also never forget being my work mate being screamed at by some woman to clean up her babies sick that was all over the table. I'm sorry, if i'd projectile vomited in public my mum would have asked for a cloth and bucket and cleaned it herself, not expected the staff to do it.

Don't even get me started on home births. Am sick of hearing about bl**dy birthing pools!!

newrider.com