Arthritis/Natural Remedies

Ambrossia

Anyone know of any natural remedies for horse with arthritis? I've heard apple cider vinigers good, anyone use this? success? how much to give? Once again any help gratly appriciated.

we've had a lot of success with cider vinegar, not sure about amounts though - we just pour a bit on top of the feed. devils claw is also good, it has similar effects to bute but is herbal. you can get it in powdered or liquid form, it's the active ingredient in nobute and bute-less.

the amount of cider vinegar depends on what make that it is! i use hilton as its cheap to buy and it lasts the longest. the horse gets 50mls a day, thats the max dose and it is for large horses. the 5lt bottle lasts bout 100days and only costs bout £12.50! i use it for my horse and he likes it! celery is also good as it increases circulation. magnet therpay boots are good as well! i also use cortaflex. my horse is moving much easier now that he is getting it! its expensive but it seems to have worked! good luck!

I did a thread about arthritis a few months ago and it should be floating around somewhere, look it up, people threw in loads of suggestions.
Basically your on the right track with apple cider vinegar, for my 16.2h horse, I had him on one cup a day, 1/2 am 1/2 pm and it worked well for him.
There is also a product, natural sulphur, called MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) which has had remarkable success in humans, dogs, cats and horses. The powder can be mixed in feed, however as some horses can be finiky, I found it helped to core out an apple, stick it inside the cored area, and then plug both ends. Horses would wolf it down without a second thought.
Cheers! Aly

HOMOEOPATHIC

I get stuff from a company called Eco Distribution and I have great faith in the products. They have a remedy for arthritis, so I would give it a try if I were you. It's called Rhus Tox.
The 'phone number is 01239 891431.The man who runs the company is a qualified vet, so I suppose he knows what he's talking about.
P.S.
There was a similar post about this on 10/5/02.

Last edited:
newrider.com
Back