Article in April Your Horse mag

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Not sure if this is the right section - might be more "Training of the Rider" but wanted to point out this article - pg. 65.

This week Rusty has been really spooky in the school - wouldn't go into one corner - just really antsy. He's too lazy (or well-trained - not by me) to do any broncs but I felt like he might.

Bought the magazine last night and read this article -seemed very timely, so I thought I'd try it out today. Short version - lead horse by hand and no matter what, keep him moving. Keep changing direction, walking different patterns, etc. and go into the areas that horse had spooked in.

Well, it worked! Did this for about 15 minutes as article recommends and then mounted up. We had one of our best rides ever :D

Yep, tried it too Tbay!! Worked really well with Flip taking him in the school for the first time folllowing my mentor's fall. Good for your confidence and the horse's.

another one here whos tried this. JJ found a spooky corner when I first had him - spent ages walking him through it, past it, back into it. but it did work very well in curing his phobia.

Did a similar thing when he was terrified of bleating baby lambs at the side of the road (he has never liked sheep anyway)

Got off(my nerves would not permit heroics on board you understand?:eek:) and spent ages just walking him backwards and forwards past them until he stopped snorting and prancing. Hes now pretty laid back with sheep so must have helped.

That's what I love about NR - you get it! I felt so proud of myself this morning and really wanted to "talk" about it with someone who would understand.

To be honest, I see no shame at all in working inhand with your horse to help them overcome the spooky object. Whether out hacking or in the school.

Those people who say you shouldn't get off as this makes things worse are just talking a load of rubbish! IMHO!!!!

Like Cortensa, my own nerves sometimes just wont manage it in the saddle!LOL!! I find it helps me as well.

Sounds like a good article :) Contrary to popular belief in some quarters I think working the ground can be an excellent way to overcome confidence problems in a ridden horse. Can help the handler / rider's confidence too :)

I read it too - and realised its what I used to do (much to the disaproval on my old yard) with Joe when we first bought him. We used to walk him around like that and then OH would get on for a little while once he was calm. I also did it with Storm and I have always thought its a good idea. There is too much poo-pooing in the horse world at times, specially on yards full of "good" riders!
Good for you anyways tbnancy - sounds like a really good move.

Maybe should start a new thread, by why does every school have that spooky corner????:eek:

LOL! And last night ours developed a second spooky corner! Just when we'd got the one conquered - the opposite one developed horse-eating monsters :eek:

newrider.com