Aspirations

Cochise

Jun 3, 2002
Auckland, New Zealand
Do you, or did you have high aspirations with your riding? Have you made it? Have you given up on your dreams? Are you still aiming for them? Do they change all the time?

For myself, I've started to set some aspirations for where I want to go with Jazz. I'm not really a "showy" type. The county shows are fun, but I don't have heaps of money for the latest fashions in turnout and while I admire the skill required to "show off" your horse and the level of training for a horse with the "x-factor"... I still feel it's one person's opinion on the day.

I would like to get Jazz up to elementary level dressage or perhaps beyond. I could get her to level three (elementary) by myself, but beyond that, I would need a trainer. She is a little horse, but has lots of potential.

How about you guys?

For me i look at the whole partnership not just the riding..
Did i get where i wanted to be, yes i did with Jack. He was what i wanted in a pony, i could have fun with him.
I had my liberty where i wanted, my bridle less was doing ok, i was jumping.
Then he died and my world stopped.

I now have my cob, just starting to think about backing and she gets sick. I do still have goals, for her they are simply to get well and get on. I will be happy with that. Everything else will be icing on the cake. I just hack and do fun stuff, i don't compete. I may take her cross country or to local show but that is it.
Going to the beach will be nice as i can see it from my yard.

Last edited:
I haven't really set myself a goal for this year. I don't know the horse well enough yet to be able to say what she/we would like to do. I think I would settle for a relaxed horse in all gaits.

My main aspirations this year are to have happy, healthy, sound and rideable horses. To do some Sponsored Rides at some point would be good. But mainly would just like to enjoy happy hacking without any of the horrible wibbles setting in.

I don't have my own horses, but would say my aspirations with riding are to be the absolute best that I can be, in every way, and of course this is a goal which will never and can never be reached. Probably why it's all so addictive!

I have aspirations of doing endurance, western shows and reining with Kiki, but I would be quite happy for her to be a trustworthy hack and be able to mooch around the countryside safely.

This year I want to do my first ODE - probably only about 70 cms. We have to work on the cross country phase - mainly in terms of brakes and control.:hot:

My other goals are to keep Izzy fit and well. And to continue with endurance, Trec and jumping.

Of course Adult Gymkhana is up there too. We are doing individual and team events this year.

I want to keep improving with my riding, develop more 'feel' and just have fun with Izzy.

YES. My goal is to ride REALLY well. I have gotten a lot closer to it in the last few months. But I doubt I'll ever be completely satisfied.
I forgot who said it but some famous accomplished European Dressage guy said something on his deathbed along the lines: "So sad I have to go now. I still have so much to learn!"

And I don't mean fancy movements or shows.
I mean ride in a way that doesn't impede the horse at all. Have perfect timing and perfect feel and a fantastic seat. That's what I want.

I want to not be a bother to my horse so she can enjoy it with me. The best ribbons and snazziest training won't mean a thing if my horse does it begrudgingly.

There might be little schooling shows on the way and stuff like that but my main goal is just to ride well.

I finally feel though as if I am getting close enough to even see the road. Before I often was just aimlessly wandering (often in circles). At least now I know where I need to go and how to get there.

At the moment I'm currently not riding due to my own personal issues. I am under the weight limit for my riding school but I believe that I am too unbalanced and may cause damage to the horses. I've decided to lose some weight and I'm starting to do balance exercises and work on my posture. I hope to be back in the saddle for spring/summer and my only goal is to be a kind considerate rider.

newrider.com