Australian Stock Saddles?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Post in the question really - they look really nice - anyone got one - pros and cons?

Pros are, if you can get them in wide they are very nice, but only get ones made in Oz. I mean REALLY made in Oz, not Indian copies you see so often for sale over here.

Pros are, if you can get them in wide they are very nice, but only get ones made in Oz. I mean REALLY made in Oz, not Indian copies you see so often for sale over here.

I had been looking at Syd Hill or James Stock Company Saddle Co - Syd Hill second hand(!) and the Jackaroo from James Saddlery (sadly budget is everything!) I do have a HM Vogue which I could sell, but need to find something good first - chicken and egg.

What do you think of those two?

Yes I have two Australian stock saddles. One is a Syd Hill Suprema Northern Barcoo Poley and the other was a bargain from ebay at £30. Sold as an old stock saddle with no makers name I took a chance. When it arrived it had a makers name and my friend in Australia said it was made about 40 years ago by a well known saddlery shop in Sydney that is now closed down. It was in very good condition and fits my cob perfectly. The Syd Hill was given to me by my Australian friend, although it cost me over £200 to ship here!! A lot of history to this saddle as it was used by my friend when he worked on the cattle ranches and also did search and rescue with his horse. Again an old one but in great condition and fits my mare beautifully. There is a photo of it on my mare in my photo album, shown with a seat saver on. There are a lot of cheaply made Australian stock saddles about and I would definately go for a good second hand one rather than a cheap new one. My two saddles are both old ones, but because they are good quality they have stood the test of time. My first choice would be Syd Hill, but they are expensive to buy new.

Last edited:
Absolutely only get one from Australia, proper ones DON'T have a horn.

They are lovely and comfy, but flippin heavy, some people find the knee rolls a bit difficult to get used to, if you can try and find a synthetic Wintec somewhere and have a sit in it. Proper leather ones though will last years and are lovely.

Good luck :)

The guy who taught me saddlery was an absolute master craftsman, he spent a long tim in Oz making Stock saddles. He came back to the UK for a while, then went back to Oz to make stock saddles again. If you get one he made it will be a work of art.

newrider.com