Back in the saddle thanks to IV Legend

denise42

Jun 24, 2002
A barn in Wisconsin
Visit site
Here is a little back ground on what happened and were we are now.
As some of you know my mare has been down since May 20th. :(
What started this was my mare did not want to take the right lead at the canter, and it was getting worse with practice in stead of better. She really just pitched a fit when asked, so on the advise of the Vet and my instructor I had her hocks xrayed , the xrays showed signs of DJD , ( she is 12 ) so not unexpected. We then injected her hocks, during this time she also managed to injure her right front suspensory ligament. So we had to wait for that to heal to evaluate the effectiveness of the hock injections as it turned out the Vet was never really happy with the results of the hock injections as she was still stiff in the back end.
I then took her to the vets , by trailer and spent the entire afternoon there with him , blocking both her entire back legs , just to see if we could ever get her more " relaxed " & moving more freely in the back end, and at least narrow down the area that was giving her trouble.
Because we had limited success with the blocks , he asked if he could give her an IV injection of Legend.( Hyaluronic acid ). He followed up with us for the next 3 weeks giving her Legend IV each time & she got better and better after each injection. Now I have been giving her the IV injections ( I am a R.N. & a vet tec ) every other week x's 2 then once per month ( cost is about 77.00 per injection )
This stuff is amazing.. I had my first lesson since May on her last night and my instructor and one of my barn buddies could not believe it was the same horse.. :D
Her walk is much bigger,, she tracks over her front hoof print by 1/4 to 1/2 hoof each step,,she never had that big a walk in the 4 + years that I have owned her.
Her back is more relaxed , she has more energy.
Her trot is much more forward,, this is the same horse that I had to really get after to get her to extend her trot..my instructor last night was tell me to " Slow her down " Never has she had to say that before :) Will she take the right lead at the canter. She has just gotten back to work, my instructor didn't let us canter last night.. she said it was to hot 95+ high humidity , and we need to bring her back slowly , but I will keep you posted.
For that will be the true test.
But I wanted to share this with you all because,
if your horse is have a consistantly hard time doing something you have asked for and you think it is something they should be able to do with no problem , it is worth asking about Legend.

I have my horse back, and she is better than she ever was.. in 2 of the 3 gaits ,, I can't wait to try the right canter. :D

newrider.com