Bareback riding on an Icelandic

ShariN

Pacific Northwest
May 26, 2006
Should of posted this here first..... because the big horse people...many don't like see adults on small horses.

Was a very nice day out...bright sunshine .....just perfect temps. Decided to ride light today...so Bareback pad and a Rope bitless bridle.

dyfra2.jpg

Everyone can now see my safey Vest...normally it is hidden under a jacket.

dyfra3.jpg

Working with Vertical Flextion with Dyfra.
At least this time I don't have barefeet.... granted they are ugly garden clogs... but hey....

dyfra4.jpg

Side passing here but sadly DS did not get a photo of the full cross over... always takes her one step to get front and back in synic.

Lovely horse and lovely weather :) I ride Ben with a bareback pad (need the handle to cope with his huge trot), but unfortunately I haven't been able to get him under control in a bitless bridle yet. Will do some Parelli with him this summer and hopefully he will then go in a rope halter, as my Exmoor mare, Frayne, does. I have tried the bareback pad with her, but it hasn't worked out yet. She needs more time to get used to me mounting her from a step and I didn't feel 100% happy without stirrups (she was napping in the yard), so I sensibly got off and will try another day.

Ali xx

ps I have got exactly the same body protector as you. Mine is 6 years old now, but still in great condition and very comfortable.

Thank you! Is nice to know someone else rides Bareback sometimes.
It took me a long while to get where I am now, balance wise. It also helps when you have a super smooth Icelandic, too which I only ride in Walk and Tolt when bareback.
I started out in the round pen and took baby steps. It does take awhile to get used to not having stirrups but will tell you.. your balance will become better and better over time, you'll not miss stirrups at all ...;)

Poor Dyfra is soo used to me flopping about all over her she could care less what I am doing any more. Am sure Frayne will be like that in no time.

Good luck with Ben and the Bitless... while I have had good luck with my horses being Bitless...not all take to it. Maybe he will in time.;)

newrider.com