Bedding ideas for very wet horse ??

G

Has anyone got ideas for a horse who wees so much in his stable!? currently on straw (very deep bed) and rubber matting, but I have a complete river of wee underneath & on top of my mats every day. I have no drainage options in my stable & will be keeping my mats as I don't want him on the concrete slipping.
Any ideas for bedding that won't cost me a fortune? Or anything else I can do!?

Woodpellets.

AliceKate have you considered taking part in any threads other than your own? You come on here asking questions, yet you never take part in any other threads.

Woodpellets.

AliceKate have you considered taking part in any threads other than your own? You come on here asking questions, yet you never take part in any other threads.
Sorry I didn't realise that was a problem?

I love straw - and Bedmax too. Bedmax smells nice and aborbs wee nicely. I do love a good thick straw bed too tho. Sorry not much help lol

Reactions: Guest
Harvey is very wet and I have him on woodpellets. He generally uses about 2 bags a week on average. I buy a pallet (64 bags) at a time as it works out much cheaper that way.

Would it be possible to put something under the straw to absorb the wee rather than replacing the straw entirely? One of our horses had a straw bed but he loves to wee in one particular corner as soon as he comes in, so we pack shavings/sawdust under that bit and it stops the wee from escaping and running everywhere, so it saves the straw a little bit. It helps that he always wees in one particular spot though.

I am no help as am having the same problem. My horse has taken an extra liking to his salt lick and this makes him drink more. His stable ia soaked everyday, it is driving me crazy.

Would it be possible to put something under the straw to absorb the wee rather than replacing the straw entirely? One of our horses had a straw bed but he loves to wee in one particular corner as soon as he comes in, so we pack shavings/sawdust under that bit and it stops the wee from escaping and running everywhere, so it saves the straw a little bit. It helps that he always wees in one particular spot though.
That's a good idea I could try that. It's just he doesn't seem to wee in one place, it's literally the whole floor is a river! But could try putting something under the mats. Thank you :)

Reducing the amount of hours in would be one idea.
Or feed soaked hay/ soaked hard feed that way he won't drink so much as getting moisture gradually from the food.

Another vote for wood pellets. They're brilliant because they solidify when they get waterlogged so the damp bits are really easy to identify and remove. I wouldn't want to use anything else now. Mucking out is a breeze.

Sorry I didn't realise that was a problem?

If everyone took that attitude there wouldn't be a forum, just single posts with no replies.

I won't be replying to your posts is future if you aren't taking part more fully.

How much money do you think you spend on them per month? I'm just worried that I end up spending a fortune because I'd need so much x

Harvey is very wet and he uses 2 bags a week. I currently pay about £4.30 a bag. Through trial and error I found the best thing is to skip out 6 days a week and clean properly on the seventh, the bed needs to be at least 4 inches deep or the we comes through....

We used to do that with J. I'd only need maybe lne bag of bedmax per week - just where he seemed to wee the most and the rest was straw.

How much money do you think you spend on them per month? I'm just worried that I end up spending a fortune because I'd need so much x

Well she's out most of the year anyway, if she comes in I use about a bag a week, cost £3.60 (but thats for bulk purchase of 50 bags) she is very clean to be fair and only wee's in one place, I make it deep to start with and like Gary said above, skip out daily and take out the wet area once a week, it kind of forms a solid 'biscuit' so it's dead easy.
My friend however has a very small bed for her boys and she just takes the wet out every day and tops up as necessary. It's a bit trial and error what works best but once you've got that figured out it really is easy to use.

I found wood pellets on their own too dusty, so I use a base layer and then shavings.

I was on straw, but it was very wet and when I moved hay & bedding supplier, I couldn't get straw. I wish I moved earlier as it's so much cleaner.

I use a bag of each a week, on average - at the moment I'm going a week and a day with shavings as I set up my bed on a Wednesday and trying to get it to a Saturday now :D

Megazorb under bedding, not a lot just a few scoops mainly where he/she wees. My boy is so wet I actually think he crosses his legs and waits till he comes in:D:D I tried megazorb last year and love it. x

If everyone took that attitude there wouldn't be a forum, just single posts with no replies.

I won't be replying to your posts is future if you aren't taking part more

Sorry I didn't realise there was a rule. I'm happy for you not to comment

I won't be replying to your posts is future if you aren't taking part more fully.

That's fine don't comment

newrider.com