beginner rider

Apr 8, 2021
My name is Sam Thompson I'm new to the forum I'm 17 a boy I could be a equestrian but don't know anything. I played soccer back in the in 8th and 7th grade but I wasn't very good at it I was gay at the time made fun of a lot just I couldn't do the kicks right or trying to do my best instead I just beached warmed the whole time. Honestly even if I was a equestrian my sister said to me everyone is good at something but Honestly I'm not good at anything. About being a equestrian I have so many questions where to begin and I'm struggling to find a mentor who would teach me. I know someone who rode in middle school but hated me. I don't know which horse breed would be good for me because I get really nervous and overthink things. My finale thing would be is I'm not a very fast learner and struggle a lot. Honestly I might need a lot of help.

It sounds like you need to find a good riding school with a qualified instructor/trainer to get you started. Riding isn’t something you just pick up in a few tries, it’s something you spend a lifetime working towards so there’s no rush to be great immediately and no rush to decide what breed you might like to purchase, getting your own horse should be several years away until you have sufficient knowledge and skills.

Reactions: Huggy
Welcome, and agree with the above. Don't worry about breeds, unless you're buying - temperament is the thing that matters. I used to ride the ugliest horse at the RS but he was a total gentleman, and as sweet as they come. A RS should know exactly what horse will suit you as a beginner. Just enjoy it!

It sounds like you need to find a good riding school with a qualified instructor/trainer to get you started. Riding isn’t something you just pick up in a few tries, it’s something you spend a lifetime working towards so there’s no rush to be great immediately and no rush to decide what breed you might like to purchase, getting your own horse should be several years away until you have sufficient knowledge and skills.
ok since my older sister cares about me a lot and I'm her younger brother she always encourages me a lot even if I don't get it. She saw one of my soccer games and said to me don't be beat yourself up its not worth it soccer isn't for everyone. my sister talked me in to being a equestrian and said soccer might not be your thing but if you were a equestrian you could be really amazing at it. even if I went that route my family wont like what I do or if I taken lessons ill maybe be made fun of because I'm the only boy and a beginner. What are chances I think I really suck at a lot of things I do.

Welcome, and agree with the above. Don't worry about breeds, unless you're buying - temperament is the thing that matters. I used to ride the ugliest horse at the RS but he was a total gentleman, and as sweet as they come. A RS should know exactly what horse will suit you as a beginner. Just enjoy it!
ok I don't know if ill be good as a equestrian because my soccer coach said to me I was useless. And said you maybe wont be good at anything. usually when the rest of the team was dong good when I wasn't I was trying to hold back tears.

All beginners worry about those things, but if you take a beginners lesson everyone is at roughly the same stage and has the same worries so you’re all in it together, you won’t know until you try

Reactions: Huggy
Hi Sam,

You seem very down in yourself and worried about what other people might think of you. The joy of horses is that they are completely non judgemental and as long as they are treated kindly and looked after, they couldn't care less if you are a 'good' rider or not. Would it be possible for your sister to go to a riding school with you? You say that she cares about you and is supportive so perhaps she might be a good person to go with? Teenagers can be very nasty and cruel to each other, but the vast majority of people who ride do it because they love of horses and have no interest in making others feel bad about themselves. If you can find a place that does adult beginner lessons, you definitely won't be the only beginner and I think that it is unlikely you will be the only male there either. But if you are, does it really matter? Perhaps your sister is right, horse riding might be something that you can really excel at, but if you don't try you will never know.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
We all have to start somewhere. Believe me, at the beginning you might feel like a sack of potatoes - I certainly did, and sometimes do now - after 40 years! As others have said, you won't be the only beginner, and each time you master even the smallest thing, you'll feel great. Sounds like a good idea too, to maybe have your sister there for support. Also, if youre really worried, and can afford it, maybe have a private lesson first time, so you don't have the pressure of onlookers.

All beginners worry about those things, but if you take a beginners lesson everyone is at roughly the same stage and has the same worries so you’re all in it together, you won’t know until you try
ok I don't know what I should take regular lessons or private lessons since I'm afraid of other people think of me of making mistakes I could of fix. kind of hard finding lessons where I live in nc

We all have to start somewhere. Believe me, at the beginning you might feel like a sack of potatoes - I certainly did, and sometimes do now - after 40 years! As others have said, you won't be the only beginner, and each time you master even the smallest thing, you'll feel great. Sounds like a good idea too, to maybe have your sister there for support. Also, if youre really worried, and can afford it, maybe have a private lesson first time, so you don't have the pressure of onlookers.
ok honestly I think I should take private lessons because my sister always get nervous on the soccer field. And my parents think riding lessons and private lessons are expensive. its kind of hard to find a mentor where I live in nc

Hi Sam,

You seem very down in yourself and worried about what other people might think of you. The joy of horses is that they are completely non judgemental and as long as they are treated kindly and looked after, they couldn't care less if you are a 'good' rider or not. Would it be possible for your sister to go to a riding school with you? You say that she cares about you and is supportive so perhaps she might be a good person to go with? Teenagers can be very nasty and cruel to each other, but the vast majority of people who ride do it because they love of horses and have no interest in making others feel bad about themselves. If you can find a place that does adult beginner lessons, you definitely won't be the only beginner and I think that it is unlikely you will be the only male there either. But if you are, does it really matter? Perhaps your sister is right, horse riding might be something that you can really excel at, but if you don't try you will never know.
ok my sister doesn't ride but she supports me after she saw me me suck as a soccer player she had a idea of me being a equestrian. Because she doesn't want me to fail in life. I'm kind of struggling to find private lessons in my area if I take group lessons pretty much I may get made fun of. I live in nc. About what to wear for riding lessons I dont own any clothes yet my friend say it can be expensive

I forgot my sister said riding clothing is expensive I don't own any yet she said wear jeans but out grown them you have any ideas.

ok honestly I think I should take private lessons because my sister always get nervous on the soccer field. And my parents think riding lessons and private lessons are expensive. its kind of hard to find a mentor where I live in nc
I forgot my sister said riding clothing is expensive i don't own any yet she said wear jeans but i out grown them you have any ideas

Hi Sam,

I forgot my sister said riding clothing is expensive i don't own any yet she said wear jeans but out grown them you have any ideas

It sounds like you're in America, so there's a limit to what advice most people on here can give since we're mostly in the UK.

Here you would go to a riding school and pay for lessons, with group lessons usually being quite a bit cheaper than private ones. For a beginner they can also have the advantage of being less tiring - you will find muscles you didn't know you had! People are far too busy focusing on what they're doing to pay attention to you, if they're thinking about others at all it's most likely they're hoping they aren't watching them get things wrong. Mentoring systems quite simply don't exist over here - to put it bluntly why would someone want to spend a lot of time and money on a horse only to let someone else learn to ride it? No, that's what riding schools are for, and hopefully that should also give you a decent quality of instruction on safe suitable horses.

As for clothes, until you know that you want to carry on jeans and boots with a solid wide heel will be fine. A long sleeved top is best as it will give you a bit of protection from grazes if you come off. Hats can usually be borrowed from the school. And to be honest I know a lot of men who ride who do most of their riding in jeans and only wear breeches for competing or hunting.

Edited to add you must surely have some jeans or similar that fit, otherwise what do you normally wear? Failing that buy a cheap pair, ideally ones that are reasonably slim fitting and with some stretch in the fabric - you can use them as normal jeans as well as for riding.

I'm not you. I do think that to get a feel of whether or not it's for you a group ride would be better, and it also gives a social side to it as you meet people with a similar interest. It depends on the centre though, some do prefer absolute beginners to start with a few short private lessons so they can be lead or lunged for safety. The best bet would be to ring up the place you'd like to go and speak to someone there.

I'm not you. I do think that to get a feel of whether or not it's for you a group ride would be better, and it also gives a social side to it as you meet people with a similar interest. It depends on the centre though, some do prefer absolute beginners to start with a few short private lessons so they can be lead or lunged for safety. The best bet would be to ring up the place you'd like to go and speak to someone there.
ok even if I was a equestrian and went that route my parents wont support what I do because I'm gay And try to put me down or say your just wasting your time.

newrider.com