being 'underhorsed' - dumb question tbh.

beanz's mum

Kilmucklin Girl
Jan 18, 2006
Taunton.Somerset.
now ive heard of over horsed but have you ever head the term underhorsed?

i was told that im under-horsed today:confused:

is there such a thing... really? :confused:

Yes, if I was an amazing rider (I'm not) and had the potential to affiliate and do amazingly well in the world of jumping, but I refused to ride anything other than my old faithful that could clear nothing bigger than 3ft, that would be under horsed!

I think some people would also use that in the context of them believing the horse to have less ability than the rider... but I could be wrong there :confused: Like you John Whittaker riding a horse that would never jump more than a foot or something :p

:eek: 5'6"??.... then you shouldn't be riding anything under 17.2hh, you horse-squasher..... don't you know! ;):p;)

In that case, I don't know what 'under-horsed' means! Maybe I'm under-horsed on my 14.1hh chunky cob and I'm 5'11"!!!

Anyone else any ideas?

Can it mean that the horse is too 'novice' for you - i.e. you need a 'livelier' horse?

I dunnooooo! :D

I always believed the same as Joyscarer that it meant that your capabilities were greater than those of your horse

yep i agree with the others.
but surely if you were that great a rider you could increase the horses capabilities :confused: (unless medical conditions prevented it)

:eek: 5'6"??.... then you shouldn't be riding anything under 17.2hh, you horse-squasher..... don't you know! ;):p;)

In that case, I don't know what 'under-horsed' means! Maybe I'm under-horsed on my 14.1hh chunky cob and I'm 5'11"!!!

Anyone else any ideas?

Can it mean that the horse is too 'novice' for you - i.e. you need a 'livelier' horse?

I dunnooooo!

please refrain from repeating my massive height, ill have the RSPCA onto me in a min :eek: ;)

but i wouldnt say im underhorsed, she can be a right handful when shes excited! :rolleyes: which is fun :D although she is rather laid back compared to what i normally would ride...

hmm

freakin horsey lingo! :rolleyes: ;)

Nowt wrong with underhorsing oneself!

I have a horse which if I am honest is too small for me and I would probably do better on something else. That was the plan though, I overhorsed myself capabilities wise with Grady and just wanted something I could get on and go with.

To many people do it the wrong way IMHO!

I've always understood it to mean that the horse is too small for the rider, rather than anything to do with ability. I'm definitely underhorsed too, twice over :)

My OH calls me overhorsed when I have been spending too much time riding/cuddling/talking about the girls, and underhorsed when I am depressed from not having seen them. I doubt this is the technical definition however!

I think of underhorsed as either if I went to a show and rode my Sec A with my (also massive) height of 5'6"! I only ride her bout 1 a month now - I am very skinny (7stone) so not hurting her I just look a bit of a prat.

Or I was underhorsed when I was riding my kick-along pony (just sold her) with 12 yrs riding experience!

It means that the horses size and/or the abilities are less than what your "requirements" are. In other words, the exact opposite of what overhorsed means.

The thing is though, both underhorsed and overhorsed can be subjective terms. If you are able to enjoy yourself safely with the horse, it doesn't really matter. In other words, you can take a grand prix horse to be just a hacking pony if you aren't capable enough to compete yourself and you can just hack out your furry little pony regardless of how talented you are if you don't want to compete, nothing wrong with either.

Where these terms become objective is when there is a health and safety risk to either to the rider or the horse because they are underhorsed or overhorsed.

Nina x

I have a 13hh Icelandic, some would say I was underhorsed. However he is one of the most complicated horses I have ever ridden, in some ways I nearly over horsed myself with a 13hh titch! ;) We had him on 6 months trial before I made up my mind about him, and nearly sent him back on more than one occasion.

It means that the horses size and/or the abilities are less than what your "requirements" are. In other words, the exact opposite of what overhorsed means.

The thing is though, both underhorsed and overhorsed can be subjective terms. If you are able to enjoy yourself safely with the horse, it doesn't really matter. In other words, you can take a grand prix horse to be just a hacking pony if you aren't capable enough to compete yourself and you can just hack out your furry little pony regardless of how talented you are if you don't want to compete, nothing wrong with either.

Well put! I'd agree with this definition :).

newrider.com