Benzyl benzoate

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I think Sid may be sweet itchy on his tail and mane. He rubs them and there is a crusty deposit on the skin sometimes.

A friend recommends benzyl benzoate. Does anyone else use it? Is it good stuff?

If he has got sweet itch the only real answer is a sweet itch rug so they can't bite him, plenty of a barrier type repellent on areas such as the sheath and inner thigh that the rug doesn't cover, and lots of good repellent when you ride. Benzyl benzoate will put the midges off biting, but isn't enough. Fly rugs aren't a small enough mesh to work, it needs to be a proper SI rug.

I did some time ago for chunky on his legs but it didnt agree with him and his legs seemed to swell with its use. Not sure if i diluted it enough though.
I know it was difficult to get, not all chemists stock it. Some wont get it in either. Tht was before internet buying though.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
BB is good but serious stuff, it can cause several problems including the hair falling out (as happened to G that I used to ride, after years of using it without issue). Personally, I’d look to exhaust other options before routinely using it. I’m not against it, I have a bottle, I’m just cautious with it.

It was the only thing that worked on Ramsey, he had no issues with it, but I know one has to be cautious.

Well, having listened to you all and read around the subject it seems that with sweet itch you just have to try all sorts of things and find out what works for your horse. I'll keep BB as a last resort. It seems easy to obtain these days (eg from EasiVet, VioVet).

newrider.com