Best numnah/cloth for using shims/inserts

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
I'm after a nice thin cotton type numnah (ideally purple!!) with hi wither shaping and pockets that you can put shims in?

I'm struggling to find something plain with minimal seams on - I have a haf pad but it's too bulky. It's to go under a cashel soft saddle but I don't see why a gel saddle cloth or air pocket one won't work as long as I can remove contents of the pocket!

What are you looking to raise?

The cashel moulds being made of foam.

I have used a simple wither pad in the past by prolite.

Would just prefer some spinal clearance really as though the foam moulds and she is very happy, I would prefer some space over withers as its pretty tight so figured a thin foam shim would be enough. Still astounded at her reaction to the saddle!

If she has improved this much and is happy, i wonder if she wants anything else.

I use two equitex pads, one normal and one high wither, but i think that would make your saddle unstable.
Maybe just something at the front? Though wondering if that will make it more tight.
You know i am always on the look out for reviews. :tongue: I didn't take photos of the cashel when i had it before.

Im toying with the treeless poly pad as you can have extra thick bits as panels.

Robbies do a gel one for about £16 (with no gel inserts, so jyst has pockets!) but im not sure I like the seams it has. I cant find a griffin one without sheepskin on. Ive previously had an equitex and suber 0 know these will both be too much - the other option is a prolite - but like the mattes/christ ones pocket not that deep for something still on trial.

I too feel the same NF - first time I've felt settled with a saddle for her - but its tight over withers - I can wiggle a finger in but it is a wiggle - and I want to prevent any problems!

Im so far, utterly chuffed and amazed with the cashel - though im sure syaing that I will jinx it! I had a "feeling" that we should have tried it years ago - but my "traditional head" always struggled with a foam saddle :eek::giggle: weve ridden in it twice - no napping, incredibly lively (and extroadinarily naughty!) - amazing :D had two "on top of the world"rides this weekend - not something that passes without noting in our house!

what about a Aero Lite Saddle Pad (we stock these)

Aero Lite is a breathable, lightweight and more technically advanced then the run of the mill gel or foam pad. The non-absorbing, inner pressure relieving material is ideal for horses with sensitive backs, cold backed, or to aid the fit of a saddle.
It's pressure re-lieving, impact and friction absorbing properties help to allieviate bruising, saddle sores and dissiapates the weight and pressure distribution under the saddle without reducing saddle stability.
Using a high grade cotton outer means it is machine washable time and times again while looking as good as new.

standard relief pad - designed with a curved spine and does not affect the fit of a saddle and gives great protection against pressure points.

Aerolite pad with combi riser - As above but with removable shims in both the front and the rear aimed at adjusting the balance and fit of your saddle.

^ manufacturers info

I know someone who cut a piece out of the drove to allow it to sit better over the wither.
But i wouldn't tell you to attack it with scissors!

And Lf I'll have a google
:D does the normal one have pockets? I want one complete shim so no breaks for pressure but happy to make my own shims

And most importantly do they come in purple? :giggle: :D

PFB you are handy with a sewing needle aren't you? You could make your own, very easy to do - if I can do it anyone can just remember to sew the pockets on to the topside of the saddle cloth not the underside like I did doh!
I just used a normal cheap shires numnah and some matching felt for the pockets so I didn't have to sew around the edges to stop it fraying if that makes sense - lazy yes - but worked really well.

newrider.com