Best place to Advertise Tack?

JOJOBA

Fluffy Bunny, apparently
I really need to sell Jack's saddle asap, I have plans for the money now.

I need £400 for it. It's in as-new condition and was supposedly bought for £800 by his last owner but if that's the case she was ripped off because Ive researched and they tend to retail at about £700. Barely used and totally unscathed. Only ridden in lightly for a month or two.

Is it worth listing on ebay with a reserve like that or will it not sell?

Ive spoken to local tack shops (edinburgh) and they all either sell on your behalf and take 20% (eek), or arent currently buying. Spoke to my local saddle purchaser (sheffield) and he said it was a bargain for someone, but he doesnt spend over £200 or so on his second hand saddles at the moment.

Ive listed it on Adtrader (check the Edinburgh edition this week), and Stabletalk. I would pay to list it somewhere if there was a good chance of it resulting in a sale, hence needing reccomendations!

Im also selling my leather boots, need to know the best place to advertise them too. They have been worn I think.... 4 times. Cost £140 new, Im advertising them for £110 - they are in new condition except some easily cleaned out scuffs.

If I make the money I need I can tell you what it's for too (it's horsey, obviously! :D).

ETA - oh and Ive listed it as 'Wide'. I think it's 8inches d-ring to d-ring, is that wide would you say? It's certainly the widest saddle Ive come across in a while :p.

xxx

Last edited:
What make, type etc is the saddle? Some will sell for that much on ebay but others won't go near that price.. all depends on what it is really.

I know for a fact that the Wintec VSD's are selling for about £50-£60 less on ebay than they were in spring. It isn't a good time to be selling.

If you do decide to list on ebay then my advice is to start the bidding at 99p (cheapest insertion fee - It increases if you start at £1) and make sure you have a a reserve on it.

You will get more interest starting the bidding lower rather than starting at the minimum you will accept.

If you have more details about what the saddle is then it is worth doing a search to see what this make of saddle completing in the last 30 days have fetched.

What make, type etc is the saddle? Some will sell for that much on ebay but others won't go near that price.. all depends on what it is really.

17" black english leather Manor GP saddle.

Took this from a saddlery website;

'This saddle is made by a small family firm, who produce saddles that are second to none so far as workmanship and materials are concerned. English leather and beechwood spring trees and all flocked with pure white lambswool, also available as Event or Working Hunter. Superb quality and competitively priced at £695.00'

manor-gp-115x115.jpg

xxx

To be honest thats the kind of price I would expect to pay for a second hand one which a saddler came out to fit.

If I was buying it on the off chance it would fit I would pay a lot less as I would more than likely end up having to sell it on again.

TBH, I think the price of second hand saddles is next to worthless at the moment. But if you find anywhere good to sell, let me know as I have two I'm trying to sell at the moment!

rtk's point makes a lot of sense too! I know I can go to my saddler and get a brand named saddle ie(albion etc) second hand for 400, fitted.

Re: the boots, sorry jo, but I would rather pay the extra 30 quid and get them brand spanking new....people buy second hand generally to get a bargain....

S

people buy second hand generally to get a bargain....

I cant afford to sell things for any less *cries*.

I have lost thousands and thousands and thousands of pounds this year, :(:(:(, Im trying to just get enough back that I will be able to afford to have a pony again after some saving :(, and take some lessons beforehand. Im selling everything I have which is sellable.

Argh :(. Damn horses!

I would go down a bit on the boots, they're no good to me. Im hoping to sell Jack's accessories in with him as a package but that wont be soon enough. Im really loathe to sell my dressage saddle, especially as I wont get much for it. Im even listing clothes on ebay next time I go home and root through my wardrobe :eek:.

My parents have kindly said I can keep any of the money from selling the saddle for myself - which is nice considering that once my inheritance and savings ran out they took over paying for Jack, and they gave me half the money to buy him too.

Perhaps I should see if any saddle fitters may be interested in buying the saddle...

xxx

Last edited:
Poor jo:( It sucks.

It would be worth putting the saddle up on ebay anyways - will only cost a couple of quid. If you put a reserve of £380 with P&P included in price (cost you about £20 and people like free P&P) you might have some interest. You'd need decent pictures though.

Can't help with the boots sadly. Ebay again I'm afraid.

Jo...I'm in a very similar position, so I really do sympathise...I'm currently going through my wardrobe too! Every little helps!

Good luck with it all, I hope you get some results.

S

D-ring measurement means nothing i'm afraid. Each manufacter puts the D-rings in different places, so one 10" measurement=X-wide would be anothers 10"=wide. Best bet there would be to take it to a tack shop (get simon to bring it up next weekend and we'll do a trip to the local saddler) and have them measure it.

Sorry, JOJOBA, but as others said, second hand saddles are not selling well. :(

I bought my old saddle second hand for £450 about 5 years ago. I didn't use it much and loved it, but it didn't fit my horse anymore. It was a fantastic English leather straight cut show saddle, a type hard to find. I advertised it on the internet for ages, but no takers.
Took it to a local saddlery in the end, who sold it for me. Not sure how much profit was in it for him, but I suppose a bit as he also goes out and fits them for people then. Anyway, I had £300 for it which wasn't too bad, I thought.
But I had to leave it with the saddler, trusting him with it and it took him a good few months to sell it. The good thing was that I didn't have any hassle like that.

newrider.com