Best saddle for a reasonably high withered warmblood

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I do enjoy a tack conversation! I've been struggling to find a saddle that fits Angel. She came with an Optimus but despite my best attempts to fix it, the tree is twisted so I've binned it because I don't want it to hurt her back or that of any other horse. She seems to be quite an awkward shape as I've tried a few saddles on her including a Kent & Masters and they've been a poor fit - she doesn't have the sharp, high withers of a TB but she's very narrow and short-backed with a clear curve, not flat backed at all. She has a Paul Jones jump saddle that's been adjusted to fit her, but I need a GP and/or dressage saddle and haven't managed to find one to fit yet (my budget is up to about £350 for a second hand saddle.) I've just bought a Paul Jones dressage saddle to try, which will go back on eBay if it doesn't fit. OBC is lending me a GP saddle to try too - can't remember what make off hand. Just wondered if you had any suggestions as I am quite obsessed with saddles at the mo?

I'm quite fond of lemetex saddles, have a look at them, only you know what will fit her but you can get some cheap ones on ebay, and they are good quality. I actually rode in a wintec t4 saddle the other day and was really quite impressed, my friend loves hers and so told me to ride have a little ride in it. Maybe a 2nd hand bates adjustable will give you a nice leather saddle which you can adjust to fit. TBH saddles are a minefield and sometimes your better finding a saddler who has a good stock of 2nd hand and paying the premium, for £350-£400 my saddler would have some very nice 2nd hand saddles available. x

Reactions: squidsin
I'm quite fond of lemetex saddles, have a look at them, only you know what will fit her but you can get some cheap ones on ebay, and they are good quality. I actually rode in a wintec t4 saddle the other day and was really quite impressed, my friend loves hers and so told me to ride have a little ride in it. Maybe a 2nd hand bates adjustable will give you a nice leather saddle which you can adjust to fit. TBH saddles are a minefield and sometimes your better finding a saddler who has a good stock of 2nd hand and paying the premium, for £350-£400 my saddler would have some very nice 2nd hand saddles available. x
I look at the reviews on H&H - and they're fairly damning of pretty much all of the cheaper saddles! It's put me off Wintecs, although I've also read that they can fit quite well on the more high withered, rounded backed types like mine. One of my close friends is a saddler but she is also incredibly fussy and one of those people who doesn't really think a saddle is any good if it costs under a grand! But if I can find a decent one she'll fit it for me.

I mainly ride in a frank baines saddle and it's so so comfy, we also have a lemetex, a ideal, a recent addition is a HDR, a Lovett and ricketts and a loriner that fit our hard to fit pony. ( infact the saddler said small saddles that shape were like rocking horse poo:D) I also own a butler bros saddle and a antill that seem to be very versatile fitting and are worth their weight in gold however are older saddles now.x

Reactions: squidsin
Do you have any tack n tog sales near you? A few years ago a friend got her stubben from one, she saw it with a £450 price tag, it was over budget but the lady said she was open to offers, also offered to bring it to her yard and allowed her to have a good hour riding in it. I'm not sure if she bought it for £300 or £320 in the end. I kid you not it is in pristine condition so there are bargains out there. x

Do you have any tack n tog sales near you? A few years ago a friend got her stubben from one, she saw it with a £450 price tag, it was over budget but the lady said she was open to offers, also offered to bring it to her yard and allowed her to have a good hour riding in it. I'm not sure if she bought it for £300 or £320 in the end. I kid you not it is in pristine condition so there are bargains out there. x
I've never heard of a tack and tog sale! I've been to some horsey car boots but there weren't any saddles. Stubben saddles look nice and seem to hold their prices well on eBay.

Yes stubben saddles are nice and even when I was at PC they were sought after, having said that I think lemetex and stubben are linked somehow( someone might know?), yet you will probably pick up a lemetex cheaper, they are both fab quality though. As @HorseHelen had said she has the falcon hawk event and I know it has really good reviews( they were on my shortlist for my daughter but saddler didn't have a 2nd hand one in) , they may be worth looking into too. I don't envy you saddle hunting, the ones I like never fit the horse I want it for:( x

newrider.com