Best saddle for a tb?

Spider

Feb 19, 2008
Im hopefully going to get Baz at new saddle as the one hes got doesnt fit him too well, or me! Its too high up at the back.

What would people recommend as the best sort of saddle for a TB? Hes quite unfit at the moment so has no muscle or topline and is quite hippy!

Im hopefully going to get a saddle fitter out within the next few weeks.

Thanks :) I'm after a leather one preferably although synthetic seems to be the new trend!

Ive just brought a lovely leather saddle company one, fitted by their fitter and Oscar (typically high withered, but not so typicaly chunky TB) seems to love it, fits him nicely and can be adjusted on site if it needs to be. Lovely saddle.

Thanks :) I'm after a leather one preferably although synthetic seems to be the new trend!

Kent and Masters make the leather version of Thorowgood saddles, so I would think they make a leather saddle like the T4 high wither. K&M (and Thorowgood) have a good reputation. I've got a T4 cob saddle, and I've been pleased with it. A lot of people on here have been happy with the Thorowgood High Wither model, I think.

I have had a few saddles that I really rate for the TB shape - I had a Black Country Vinici event saddle which was my favourite by far. Rocky now has a Bates Innova Event and it's great. If you don't want to spend quite that much then the wintec is built on the same tree so gives a good it too. David Sayer is the best saddle fitter round here IMO, he's in France at the minute but I think he's home this week. Google the name for the number.

There is a new remedial numnah on the market specifically for TBs while they muscle up, has lots of packets and memory foam blocks. Worth a look and get new saddle fitted with this so that it will fit when he is muscled.

TBH unless he's REALLY high iwthered then he's probably an easy shape to fit. I'd use a sheepskin Mattes correction numnah where there is significant muscle loss - the felt shims I find much better than foam, though I know foam shim pads are very popular, and may work okay on a narrower horse. They're not helpful on the wide ones!

Stubben - but the older type not the banana shape trees which I can't imagine would fit anything. I had an elderly Stubben that fit pretty much every TB I put it on - 29 I think it was.

newrider.com