Best shedding tool or trick?

I won a bucket filled with Lincoln products a few years ago and there was a fabby shedding thingy - like a furminator? It is amazing for shifting the fluffs. Storm likes it too.
Oddly enough though this year - all three have sort of rolled out their old coats rather than me having to groom. Lol normally I have a yard that looks full of snow thanks to having two greys!

Reactions: Jessey
I’m really starting to worry now as Belle is still hardly shedding at all.
I just use a shedding blade as a rule but it’s still waiting for a serious workout just now.

I just use a shedding blade as a rule but it’s still waiting for a serious workout just now.

Don't worry - Storm has not shed like she normally does - Zi neither. I am thinking maybe they both didn't grow excess fluff????

None of mine are really shedding yet, They had 1 day a couple of weeks ago where they started to drop a bit and then stopped again. I was just looking for ideas to get it over and done with ASAP once it started :) It is only February, I wouldn't be at all worried yet, I remember when I was showing a lot I could almost never get a horse properly shedded out for the first show in the latter part of April, normally they were ready for the end of May shows though.

I've tried a few things over the years but still find that nout works better than a metal shedding blade! I love using it too because the hair comes out in pretty lines :D Mind you there is also that toilet-brush-on-a-drill trick which looks fab but I haven't tried that one yet :p

I like my shedding blade. I've also got a spiral shedding blade that works quite well. Billy's been shedding for weeks. Chunky has suddenly started this week.
I find a good shampoo when they come back sweaty from a ride and a few days later it makes them shed more quickly.
I went mad a couple of weeks ago with Billy, as I cant clip him. He was really ringing with sweat under his belly after hacks. So I took the scissors to it. It looks a bit funny as I'm no hairdresser but it has made so much difference. He more sweaty down his sides than underneath now. It's funny how he accepts me scissoring his belly, but wont let me near with clippers.

My mud scraper takes it off well, and those mitts with the bobbles on. Both of mine have just started to shed, but I'll be clipping poor old Ramsey out by may/June, as his cushings ensures a full winter coat back again by then :rolleyes:

I've got a metal straight thing .... I realise that deacription is no help, so will take a photo tomorrow!

Must admit I like my ergonomic rubber thing, I don't know what it's called so I searched for it on google and this is the nearest I found https://www.smithshealth.co.uk/bitz-palm-held-horse-grooming-curry-comb-coarse-blue/

The reason I like it is because the hair forms a mat in the prongs and you can pull it out in little sheets, so I get less hair in my eyes, nose and mouth when I'm grooming Jack. I don't think it's any more effective than a blade, but I really need a full face mask if I do Jack with the blade :p plus it's easier to do legs and nooks and crannies with the rubber thingy.

Raf is far too sensitive for the blade. He is ok with the rubber thingy but his hair is more silky than Jacks and he's not so tall that it all falls down on me. The shedding block works quite well for Raf, but it only really does large surfaces. Last year I got one of those grooming gloves, which he likes and you can do faces, elbows etc with it and he also just enjoys a mighty good rub with it.

I like my shedding blade. I've also got a spiral shedding blade that works quite well. Billy's been shedding for weeks. Chunky has suddenly started this week.
I find a good shampoo when they come back sweaty from a ride and a few days later it makes them shed more quickly.
I went mad a couple of weeks ago with Billy, as I cant clip him. He was really ringing with sweat under his belly after hacks. So I took the scissors to it. It looks a bit funny as I'm no hairdresser but it has made so much difference. He more sweaty down his sides than underneath now. It's funny how he accepts me scissoring his belly, but wont let me near with clippers.
I had one I had to hand clip for the longest time, tough the first time but soon learned to have a couple of sets so when they started to warm or blunt I could switch them :)

Reactions: Huggy
I had one I had to hand clip for the longest time, tough the first time but soon learned to have a couple of sets so when they started to warm or blunt I could switch them :)
What do you all use for hand clipping? I have cordless liveryman clippers which have served me well for Ramsey ( brilliant boy - falls asleep while I'm doing it!) But when I turned them on in Hogans stable he shot to the back of the box, eyes rolling! He's not great with scissors either - I have to trim his feathers (only because they're so long, he stands on them) an inch width a day, as he flicks his foot around. I'll hopefully be working him a lot harder next winter, and prob will need a bib clip at the least.

Now that's what I need for Billy. I couldn't find out what they used years ago before clippers were invented. Now I know.

I used good old scissors. I will have to take a picture of my efforts.
I want to invest in some mega quiet cordless ones later in the year.

newrider.com