BHS Riding and Road Safety Test

izzy18

Aug 21, 2004
Up North!
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone tell me what the BHS Riding and Road Safety test is like please? My riding school will soon be running a course, one evening a week for four weeks, with the test on the fifth week, and I'm thinking of signing up for it. I hack out once a week and at the moment, I just copy what everyone else does in terms of signalling etc. Thought it might be a good idea to learn what I should be doing properly though :eek:

I've a had a quick look on the BHS website but would like to hear from people who have actually taken the course to see what I might be letting myself in for! I do drive a car, so I am (hopefully :eek: ) familiar with most of the Highway Code!

Thanks for your help!:D
Izzy

Well worth doing and nice to see someone who's interested in doing it.

The actual exam has 3 parts to it: the written theory test, the simulation bit (pretending to ride on the road but in an arena or field) then the actual bit out on the road.

You are only allowed on the road if you pass the first two sections. I've heard that it is slightly easier if you drive as you have more knowledge about the highway code.

In the actual exam bit on the road, just be very very aware of your surroundings. Mine was around a local housing estate on a busy saturday afternoon. Like a mini circuit with lots of pulling out around cars, one bit of trot etc and turning around

The training that you'll get will cover all of it and will highlight the stuff you need to do. Like when to signal, how to signal, don't signal with your whip, always look behind before you signal otherwise you might have arm taken off by an HGV etc

I found it really helpful

The actual ridden test is about (thinks back 3yrs) about 15-20mins not long at all.

We rode over in a group to the test area after doing the theory in yard & simulation in arena. You then do the test individually. I'm guessing so that you don't just follow the person in front

my test on the 1st of June :eek: we'll be in a group of 8 the written part takes about 5 minutes, the simulation pasrt took us about half an hour as a group to complete and the road part would take about 20 minutes as group. Agree with teapot very useful to have and is basic knowledge and with a little revision it should be fairly simple. The road signs are pretty easy as well (no U bend, left turn, national speed limit e.c.t) good luck if you decide to do it :)

I sat mine about 6 years ago, can't remember a written paper. The acctual test was very simple. Common sense really. I even indicated the wrong way out on the road and still passed(I did everything else right just put out the wrong arm). The tester laughed at me and asked if I knew what i did wrong, testers understand if you get nervous. I've never known anyone to fail it if the do the course first.

I did the exam last year and the BIG thing the examiner was looking for was the looking around, especially behind. When you are doing the simulation and the road test really exaggerate your glances behind - I was up for an oscar on mine, but some failed simpy because they glimpsed rather than glared!!

J

we got told too on our last training day that there picky on looking behind (observing) properly will have to make sure i do that then when i have the test in a weeks time! :)

Thanks for your replies everyone - you've been really helpful. I'm definitely going to put my name down for the course. I think the test is planned for the first week in July, so wish me luck! :D
Kirstie, good luck with your test next week. I hope it goes well - let me know how you get on!
I must remember to really exaggerate the glances when I look around - I remember having to do that on my driving test too, so that the examiner couldn't miss the fact theat you were checking your mirrors, blind spot etc!
Thanks again everyone - I'll keep you posted!
Izzy
x

i did my riding and road safety about 11 years ago through the pony club. we spent about 8 weeks working on theory before sitting the written exam. the simulated road test was done alone and you were followed by a PC rep and the safety officer. the actual real road riding was also done alone and they followed you in a car along a set route.

They have maybe eased up on the rules now but i failed the ridden part when i did it. nothing to do with signalling or my actual 'road riding', they didn't like the way i ran up my stirrups in the simulated road section when we had to dismount and lead past an obstacle. but i just had to re-sit the ridden part the following year :) although i put it down to the safety adviser, the same guy who failed me and my mate twice when we sat our cycling proficency test at school ;) :p

i don't think you want to hear about my test.
just to say the RS where i took it gave me a horse that did not like lorries:eek: and the test was on the A40 trunk rd:eek:
at one stage i finished up alongside an artic looking at the driver through the side window:(
not an experience to be repeated..
i felt sorry for the girl who was next to go she witnessed all this:eek:
i did actully pass!!!!!!!!

newrider.com