BHS riding schools to start riding club scheme

teapot

Nov 8, 2005
West Sussex
Have posted this in general but thought it might be more suited to here.

The BHS have launched a Riding club scheme based on the British riding clubs; but they are using approved RS so that those who don't have their own horse can do the exams, competitions and training etc.

Seems like a good idea to me and I'll hopfully be joining it.

Here's the link to the BHS news http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Ods-More.asp?id=8037&pg=News&spg=News&area=9

It's also in the latest issue of H&H

Sounds interesting to me. I've never owned a horse and never joined a club but I will definitely be looking into this. I had thought of doing exams etc especially in horse care/management - I want to know what I'm doing when I do eventually buy my own.

So scary I was just about to post the same thing! I think it is such a positive step and can't wait till it is rolled out nationwide. My RS runs a club for RS clients and puts on shows, pub rides etc. It has been great as I would never have had the opportunity to enter any shows otherwise and the tests would give everyone that wanted to something to work towards.

I've looked at the syllabus for the exams and it seems much more user friendly and cheaper than the BHS stages.

I'm lucky in a way that my RS is the one doing the pilot scheme. Shall get some info when I'm next up there

I did a lot of searching around last night as I was slowly working my way through the BHS system but stopped due to primarily cost. So was very keen to find out about the RC exams.

This is all taken from BHS website, but alas you can only get to it by doing a google search as the links arn't working.

There are 4 levels - senior equitation & horse welfare 1 -4.

Shall do equitation first:

level 1 - no jumping, basics - walk, trot & canter with stirrups, transitions, positions etc.

level 2A (with jumping) - W,T & C with stirrups, walk & trot without stirrups. Correct aids, riding school movements, riding up & down hill & use of the whip. Jumping wise - poles & jumps up to 60cm (2ft)

Level 2b - NO JUMPING - same as above, but with no reference of any form of pole work/jumps.

Level 3a jumping - good postion at all paces; application of aids; canter on named leg with and without stirrups; trot on both diagonals; progressive transitions & lengthening of strides at all paces; judgement of pace & distance; turns at the work, turn on forehand & work towards demi pirouette; jump fences upto 90cm/3ft; ride up and down steep banks/hills & jump banks & steps; awareness of riding amongst others

Level 3b - no jumping as above bar any form of jumping

Level 4a - jumping knowledge of position on flat, over fences & demonastration of this, aids applied quietly etc; riding horse forwards into acceptance of the aids; understanding of principles & schooling of a horse up to RC horse trials in all 3 phases; ride a horse upto elementary level dressage standard showing lateral work; riding in a double bridle; riding over a course of jumps, with changes of direction, judging of stride & pace at a height of between 90cm and 110cm.

Level 4b - no jumping - as above without any jumping

And with level 4 - your application has to be sent off to the various people to check you're at the right ability etc.

I'll give you a link to the actual syllabus as it's got more details on it and the Horse care would take me ages to type up. That's the link to the horse care.http://www.bhs.org.uk/DocFrame/DocView.asp?id=972

Exams fees: cost you pay to RC is £7.50 plus obviously something to the yard as they need to cover costs.

Dress code: gets smarter & "posher" the further you go up. Level 1 - jumper and boots, Level 4 - jacket & tie.

Also means you can do the exam at your yard - no of this having book it through the BHS and going to an unknown yard. And once you have passed levels 1 - 3 with jumping, you're allowed direct entry in the BHS stage 3 exam.

Looks good doesn't it?

Sounds like a good idea Im lucky my BHS yard also is linked with the nearby college so Im doing my NVQII didnt fancy doing BHS exams away on a unknown yard.. Its great Im able to use my own horse so learning with her as we go along.

The link came up with an error for me, is it just a pilot scheme at the minute and how can i find out if my local stables are doing it now/future, any ideas how i find out plse? Would love something like this for when i get going. :)

wow it would be amazing if every riding school took that scheme on and used it order their classes abilities. It would be so much easier to know what level all riding schools and their riders are at, it will mean the end of the long debates about what a novice rider is though :eek:

newrider.com