BHS Stage 1

Anvil83

May 1, 2007
Hi I have an interview tomorrow for the BHS Stage 1 course. Can anyone offer any tips/advice please? In the prospectus it says that I'll need to tack up a horse, mount from the ground, ride in walk, trot, canter & then jump a small fence. Sounds not too bad, but I'm worried that it could all go horribly wrong if my nerves take over :eek:

If I do pass the interview, & that's a big IF, what's the course like? Do you have one to one riding tuition on the course or group lessons, & how long for each week? Did it prepare you enough for the exam? Also what did you wear for the exam? Long boots/ short boots & gaiters? What hacking jacket did you wear? Did you wear a shirt?

Sorry with all these questions, just curious & want to make sure that what I'm doing is right.

Don't panic! I found the course very informal and everyone was really friendly. Where are you doing it? My 'interview' was basically a riding assesment, I couldn't make the time they gave me, but they still let me do the course based on what I told them over the phone and I was 14 at the time.

They want you to be able to walk, trot, canter, go over some poles and a little jump. They re-inforce all the ridden stuff and just show you the 'BHS way' of doing everything, like how to put a rug on the 'BHS way', fold in half and in half again, lay on horses shoulder, unfold over shoulders, unfold again... VERY health and safety oriantated.

Your in a group and I think you have a choice on whether you do the riding course or the mamagement course or both. Most people do both i think. We had a session from 10:30-3:30 once a week with alot of breaks. In the morning we usually had a practical ie. going round the yard picking out colours, markings, shapes, looking at shoes etc... then an hour riding session and after lunch a bit in the class room going over it and receiving a book in the form of hand-outs.

They prepare you very well for the exam and give you LOADS of hand-outs to revise from, you can get the BHS Stage One manual from the BHS site aswell which just goes over everything that they could ask you in the exam, they also have a list of what's 'compulsory' and 'supporting' knowledge in the front of the mannual so your sure what is expected of you.
They have a dress code for the exam which is on the site aswell:

here

So basically a jacket or jumper for stage 1 or 2. They're not too bothered about the navy blue/black darker jackets although they prefer you not to. Up to standard hat, shirt, tie/stock, pref. neutral jods/breeches, jod boots or long boots. If jodphur boots they don't like chaps but prefer gaiters.

The website does have quite a bit of info about the exams. Hope that helps a bit!
Jess x

Last edited:
When we recruit onto Stage 1 courses we expect people to be able to do a basiccally correct walk, trot and canter on a sensible horse as the course will be aimed at improving the quality of this work. We would not expect to see a jump as that is not required for the exam. As far as stable management there is nothing that cannot be learned and we would just look for a basic confidence around horses.

Pepsimax we take the view that it is unfair to encourage people onto courses if they do not have a realistic expectation of passing at the end. Some are just too nervous, other can have fundemental faults and all you can do is advise them to have further lessons before joining what is usually a fairly intensive fast moving course. I know however many centres that do not share this view.

What the course is like, how its run and what you learn is up to the centre you are training at, generally BHS Training Centres will have a lot of experience and a high pass rate but you really ought to ask if you are not sure.

Why do you want to do the course...there are several alternatives so you want to be well informed to choose the one that is best for you.

don't panic. i did my stage one with no lessons first, an i was 14 at the time. its all about common sense. the exam was in groups of 5 people, a question was asked of 1, and opinions asked of all the rest.... we were marked on the comments we made etc.. riding was fairly easy, ... just wear jodphur boots, cream jods and tweed jacket, shirt and tie. i did mine in december, an they won't let you wear coat over jacket... so if you do it when its cold..... wear thermal undies... good luck

.....Pepsimax we take the view that it is unfair to encourage people onto courses if they do not have a realistic expectation of passing at the end......

Sorry I was being a bit facetious. I know it is a serious qualification, and not that easy to achieve.

I do quite agree that people should be coached / developed to success rather than a crude benchmark rigorously applied against which many may fail ...

I have just looked at the syllabus tonight and I KNOW I wouldn't get through it - especially the HK&C (correct way of doing things, I am largely self taught)- the riding might just be ok.....

How did you get on Anvil - fingers x-ed.

Last edited:
Hiya, I passed the interview, yay!! It didn't go too bad, the horse I rode was good as gold which made it easy for me. I enjoyed looking around the college & meeting everyone. So will be starting the BHS Stage 1 in September & am really looking forward to it, although I don't really know what exactly to expect.

If there's anyone reading this thread who has done this course at college, then what did you wear? I've been told that I can't wear suede or synthetic chaps only leather. Also where did you get your hacking jacket from for the exam, well that's a mile off for me but I thought I'd ask so that I am prepared for when that day finally arrives.

I have 2 pairs of boots, 1 pair that I want to wear for yard duties & the other pair for riding, will I have time to change into the other pair for the riding lesson?

newrider.com