Bit of an awkward situation.

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
Some may remember how I’ve had a barefoot trimmer out, it was kind of a last resort at the time but he’s great and I feel like I’m learning more just recently about my horses feet than I’ve ever known (shamefully)
He’s been trimming 3, oz who’s had the issues and the two ponies who have never worn shoes anyway.
Then I met this local lady who’s a podiatrist and was really helpful at advice when I was floundering slightly! she also leant me boots that fit as mine didn’t, all foc. So I mentioned that maybe she could take on the other two.... I always say stuff without thinking things through!
So they are currently booked for next week but she text to say she charges £55. I just can’t really justify that when the other guy is only £30 (well it varies from £40 for one horse to £30 for 3, I assume it stays at that for anymore)
He does a good job, is reliable, friendly brilliant with the horses. Torro is nervous and he’s just so nice to him.
It just seems stupid to pay almost double for no real reason other than I felt I owed her one in a roundabout kind of way :(
I earn peanuts and was intent on trying not to waste money this year, I’ve so far failed by early January ;)
How do I politely get out of this without looking rude or being incredibly embarrassed?!

Some may remember how I’ve had a barefoot trimmer out, it was kind of a last resort at the time but he’s great and I feel like I’m learning more just recently about my horses feet than I’ve ever known (shamefully)
He’s been trimming 3, oz who’s had the issues and the two ponies who have never worn shoes anyway.
Then I met this local lady who’s a podiatrist and was really helpful at advice when I was floundering slightly! she also leant me boots that fit as mine didn’t, all foc. So I mentioned that maybe she could take on the other two.... I always say stuff without thinking things through!
So they are currently booked for next week but she text to say she charges £55. I just can’t really justify that when the other guy is only £30 (well it varies from £40 for one horse to £30 for 3, I assume it stays at that for anymore)
He does a good job, is reliable, friendly brilliant with the horses. Torro is nervous and he’s just so nice to him.
It just seems stupid to pay almost double for no real reason other than I felt I owed her one in a roundabout kind of way :(
I earn peanuts and was intent on trying not to waste money this year, I’ve so far failed by early January ;)
How do I politely get out of this without looking rude or being incredibly embarrassed?!
awkward one, I would just be honest and say that the current trimmer is less expensive and given you have multiple to do you can't really afford the extra but really appreciate her help and advice

Be honest, but in future discuss prices and don't assume. :)

I ditched my farrier/ trimmer because they were unreliable. Simple as that. Current one is and been visiting us for about um five years I think.

I also think your best bet is to be honest with her and say you hope you haven't upset her because that was never your intention. Maybe a box of chocolates/flowers/wine as a thank you for her help?

Was her advice for Oz different to what's being done now? If it was, and realistically what is being done now doesn't seem to be working as well as hoped (sorry if I'm getting you mixed up with someone else) then could you use her for him and your existing trimmer for the others? Of course that may then cause more awkwardness . . .

My inners are cringing. I started using the first guy for Oz and it’s been tough but he’s doing well and I don’t want to swap him as I feel we are now on the right track and have no reason to stop. This second lady offered advice when my partner was telling her about Oz and they got chatting about being barefoot and me being in a bit of a stress and she offered to chat.
I then found myself agreeing (not at all forced, that sounds like I was pushed and I wasn’t) to take shoes off the other two. My thoughts are if I’m going through it with the most difficult I may as well try with the easier ones. So it’s those two she’s booked to do.

Was her advice for Oz different to what's being done now? If it was, and realistically what is being done now doesn't seem to be working as well as hoped (sorry if I'm getting you mixed up with someone else) then could you use her for him and your existing trimmer for the others? Of course that may then cause more awkwardness . . .
No it wasn’t different, it was more of an “it’s ok you can do this” pep talk and help with boot fitting. The ones I bought were too big

Ok, then in that case I'd carry on as you are and stick with a big thank you for the help. If you want to try the other two barefoot and are happy with the other chap then stay with him, if you're happy with them shod then stay with that. I think most of us have been in a position where enthusiasm runs away with us and later on reality kicks in, with the work she does I should imagine she's seen it many times before and will appreciate a friendly "I'm sorry but" rather than an abrupt text cancelling at the last minute.

I'm glad things are working out for Oz :)

Reactions: Jessey and Toz
You could always just say you want to wait for the ground to dry up a little before removing the others shoes, lots of soft feet about at the moment according to my trimmer! Then you could ask the other guy to remove them if you still want. I don't know anything about your horses but I'm a barefoot convert these days!

Yep, I’m not saying he’s barefoot forever by any means but I can’t keep shoes of any sort on him at the moment and I imagine getting his feet as good as possible can’t be a bad thing even if it is to shoe in the future. He’s doing about 45 mins a day in hand with boots on the road (which he’s been an angel for, ears pricked but perfect behaviour all the way) so I’m hoping that will also reflect in his confidence and behaviour hacking when we do get to that stage.
Jake is 20 now and a very enthusiastic hacker! He does tend to pound the roads and his hocks are getting a bit stiff so I thought less concussion wouldn’t be a bad thing for him. He has great feet so I don’t anticipate too much of a problem.
Ok, I’m going to man up and drop her a message now :(

I can't believe how easy life is with a horse that can go barefoot! Poor old Ramsey had terrible feet as he got older, Hogan seems quite happy, except on very stony ground.

Reactions: Toz
I can't believe how easy life is with a horse that can go barefoot! Poor old Ramsey had terrible feet as he got older, Hogan seems quite happy, except on very stony ground.
I’m really hoping that’s the case. Atm he’s still pretty sore without boots but on the plus side he’s very happy in mud (lucky this year!!)

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com