Bitting for hunting

Moodymare101

Sep 2, 2017
I'm planning on taking my mare hunting for the first time this season (her first time, not mine!) I'm after some advice with regards to changing her bit for something a bit stronger (the bit will probably only be when hunting or similar activities).

She is currently ridden in a Bomber Bits Happy Tongue Fulmer Snaffle for schooling and a loose ring Waterfrod snaffle for hacking.

She is fussy when it comes to bits as she seriously dislikes jointed bits - have tried a few different mouthpieces to no avail! I decided recently to try a Waterford as it lays in the shape of the mouth if you get what I mean and, although she hacked very well in her BBHTF snaffle, she really really liked the Waterford. So I have decided that to hack she can be in the Waterford.

Really I would like the mouthpiece to be a Waterford as she goes nicely in the Waterford and doesn't grab hold of it (she occasionally grabs hold of the BBHTF snaffle as it hasn't got any joints!). I was thinking of either a very short shanked Waterford Pelham, a Waterford Universal or a Portuguese
waterford 2.5 ring gag (made by Bomber Bits). I would use 2 reins as well (one on the main ring, one on the stronger ring) so that i only use the full strength of the bit if its definitely needed - in other words, in the name of safety .

It is made slightly more complicated but the fact that if i put anything too strong in her mouth or anything with too much poll pressure she will rear (shes a rearer anyway so I'd like to avoid even the slightest aggravation if possible)

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what i could put her in for hunting?

Im only changing it for hunting as a preventative measure and to ensure that we can enjoy a days hunting safely

newrider.com