Bombproof pony...or not...

Marzipan

Dec 7, 2005
Leeds
As some of you may, or may not know I've recently started riding rtk's gorgeous cob called Tilly. I've been riding her for about 3 weeks, either in the school or round the fields. We've been out once, but with rtk and her oldie (even if he doesn't act it), Rocky.

Today I took her out on my own. I didn't really know where I was aiming for, we just pottered about and hoped for the best. We did have to navigate some gates, which I'm sure anyone watching would have had a good laugh at, but after the first complete disaster, I got better and Tilly helped by pushing them with her nose (and then running backwards if they came back and I didn't get them in time!) :rolleyes:

Tilly is bombproof but today it became apparent she doesn't fully trust me just yet. She spooked and span at a quad and trailer, at a man (on the quad)sneezing, and at some birds flying out of a tree/undergrowth...the latter had me on the floor as she spooked sideways on a downhill slope and it didn't go very well. I have to say though, despite being very bruised from falling on rocks and stones, I wasn't bothered. As a novicey rider and a fairly nervous one I was impressed, even if I do say so myself.

We did have a really nice ride and I hope that Tilly enjoyed it, her ears were pricked forward all the way round and when we had quick canter in the field on the way back she was still raring to go and reluctant to slow, so I think she did. I've never been out hacking properly alone and despite a few minor disagreements with Tilly, I hope that I did ok.

All in all, I had a really good day, so thank you rtk and Tilly.:D

Sorry for the huuuuge post, I do have obligatory earshots, but I'm not sure how to transfer them from my phone to my laptop :confused:

Well, you must have been quite confident to canter on your first time out alone! I think i left it til the 2nd or 3rd time. I used to be confident after falls and have a giggle about it until i had a couple of proper ones :rolleyes:

Sounds like it went well though, and hopefully you'll get more used to her spooks and get used to sitting to them, or she'll gain more confidence in you and stop doing them hopefully! Good luck :)

Well, you must have been quite confident to canter on your first time out alone! I think i left it til the 2nd or 3rd time. I used to be confident after falls and have a giggle about it until i had a couple of proper ones :rolleyes:

Sounds like it went well though, and hopefully you'll get more used to her spooks and get used to sitting to them, or she'll gain more confidence in you and stop doing them hopefully! Good luck :)

Well we've been in the fields alone before but as its part of and close to the yard I haven't really classed it as out and about exploring.

Thank you. I hope its the latter!

I think you did amazingly well! Big pat on the back for you! Tia is absolutely bombproof following other horses in the busiest of traffic - motorbikes, caravans, she even ignores boats etc on the side of the road - but I havent quite the nerve to take her out by herself yet - or put her in front, mainly because she hasnt done much recently and the routes I am taking her on are still new territory for both of us...my RI did take her out round the farm and said she was fine, but I am still a little scared. And cantering the first time? You are VERY VERY brave!!!

You already know I think you did great :D:D. The bombproof or not came from a discussion we had on return.

I thought Tilly had been naughty, but after discussion we realised it was one of those cases where a change can change the horse.

How many people have posted saying they bought a bombproof horse and then it wasn't the first time they rode it.

Well this pony doesn't bother about anything, with her normal rider but she was spooky today. Could have been a few nerves from the rider but I dont actually think so. I think she has built up such a bond with my daughter that she will take a bit of time to trust someone new. She is fine in known situations but today they had a wander, got a bit lost, went somewhere new etc and she reacted to it.

I am sure she will soon settle to her new rider, she already loves her on the ground and around the yard :D:D:D

Well done Amy and Tilly

Waiting for the pics :D:D

Where are those pics Amy

Any why has no-one else replied, I got Amy to put this up to start the discussion about what does bombproof mean :D:D:D There have been loads of comments in the past.

I think you're right - it does take a lot for a horse to trust a new rider.

My old loan horse was definitely not what you'd call bombproof - he'd spook at just about everything (birds, funny shaped leafs, road signs etc.) just for the fun of it, but I noticed that as I hacked him out more and more and took things slowly trying to give him confidence, he started to trust me more and more, and become less spooky and silly when out on his own. It got to the point where we could happily ride out on our own in w/t/c and turn round to go home with no sillyness at all, because he'd built up his trust in me. When people he didn't really know rode him then he wouldn't be half as good, and would spook at lots of things!

I think people underestimate just how much confidence horses take from their riders, and how just as it takes us a while to trust a new horse, it takes a horse a while to trust a new rider. For a horse being ridden goes completely against what's natural for them - it must take a huuge amount of trust to let us ride them!

Where are those pics Amy

Any why has no-one else replied, I got Amy to put this up to start the discussion about what does bombproof mean :D:D:D There have been loads of comments in the past.

Well I've only just come across it,that's my excuse for not replying;),but will happily do so as you said it is an interesting topic:)

In the case of OP,I think you did rather well,and were rather brave!!

On the bombproof thing,I think some horses are totally bombproof no matter what,the type that will do whatever is asked without question and not be fazed by anything,and than I think you have the potential bombproof ones.They are the ones like my lad,who is too young to be totally bombproof just yet,but has a pretty un-flappable nature generally,and with a confident rider and handler is completely at ease,and with age and experience will turn into the totally bombproof type.At the moment though he is still young enough to need to take a certain amount of confidence from the rider in situatiuons he's not 100% sure of.

Doesn't take much TBH,a growl or a nudge in the right direction if he falters,but when someone who wasn't confident at all rode him (should never have let her take him out with hindsight,but I wasn't aware she had 'hacking issues' until she came back from taking him out:rolleyes:),he was a right spooky twit by all accounts,things he doesn't look twice at normally,he was refusing to walk past apparantly!! I was amazed quite honestly,but I think it's just that although he's 95% bombproof,there are the odd times when he needs a bit of reassurance from his rider,like he takes his confidence from them (as well as being quite young,he also does nearly everything alone,so is quite a lot to ask to be fair to him),and if he doesn't get that he starts to panic a little and doubt things.That's my theory on the whole bombproof thing anyway,probably complete nonsense,but it makes sense to me lol

Having said all that I hacked him through the main road in the village for the first time today,and was completely unfazed by dump trucks,double decker buses,tesco delivery lorry complete with scary cage trolley's,but had eyes on stalks at a leaf blowing in front of him:rolleyes: Maybe we'll never really understand them lol

Where are those pics Amy

I honestly can't transfer the pics...I have tried! I'll try again.

Just an update really following my ride on Sunday. I took Tilly out again tonight for a ride and thought I'd go round one field quickly before going in to the school as she seems to prefer being out in the fields.

Tilly went past a man welding no problem, a horse running up and down the fence next to her, no problem, but as we got to the field, a shadow of a ditch meant that we couldn't possibly go any further and Tilly promptly spooked, span round and trotted back down the path. I stopped her and turned her round, and got her to the field again, only for her to spin and canter back to the point where I couldnt stop her for a few seconds. Eventually she stopped and we walked back. So we went into the school.

I was admittedly scared when I couldn't stop her for both our safety and as it was getting dark (and I think the dark was actually the issue and perhaps the rain) I wasn't going to push it. I know I was wrong for letting her get away with it, but I fell off Sunday, I'm still sore and I wasn't prepared for it to happen again, most certainly when there was an electric fence all down one side.

I think she does try it on in the school, I know shes not scared of anything there, so we worked on doing things when I want them, not when Tilly does and I think, as I said to her owner, I'll play in the school for a bit and hopefully Tilly will get more used to me and vice versa.

I also thought about just playing with her, by maybe doing some groundwork as well as riding. She doesn't need groundwork as in teaching her behaviour wise, she has impeccable manners, but I want her to get to know me more and I know this isn't going to happen quickly. (of course if this is ok with her owner?)

I think it definitely demonstrates how much horses can be affected by changes though.

Well our perfect pony (not any more) has been naughty again :rolleyes:

Luckily Marzipan can handle it otherwise I would be done for something, wonder if the Trade Description Act applies.

Today she decided to spin around and canter back to the yard :rolleyes:

I really feel sorry for those people who sell ponies as perfect and then new owners have problems.

Our girl has not moved off yard or away from her friends and we still do much of her care, cant imagine what she would have been like if I had sold or loaned her :eek:

Well our perfect pony (not any more) has been naughty again :rolleyes:

Luckily Marzipan can handle it otherwise I would be done for something, wonder if the Trade Description Act applies.

Today she decided to spin around and canter back to the yard :rolleyes:

I really feel sorry for those people who sell ponies as perfect and then new owners have problems.

Our girl has not moved off yard or away from her friends and we still do much of her care, cant imagine what she would have been like if I had sold or loaned her :eek:

Did we cross post? :confused:

Did we cross post? :confused:

Yes :D

When she is in a better mood get Lou to show you some Parelli stuff. I dont like the ridden Parelli but the groundwork was good. We already have the halter, long rope thing and carrot sticks :D:D And Tilly already knows it all ;)

Yes :D

When she is in a better mood get Lou to show you some Parelli stuff. I dont like the ridden Parelli but the groundwork was good. We already have the halter, long rope thing and carrot sticks :D:D And Tilly already knows it all ;)

Ah, explains it! Great minds.

newrider.com