Boot reccomendation wanted

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I am sick of Ariat's, I have been wearing terrain and tellurides for the better part of 10 years and love them for comfort but my last few pairs have not lasted. Brought new ones last year that the lining came apart in months, which Ariat replaced under warranty with the new pro version, which I've barely had 6 months and the stitching on the leather outside is coming apart, the lining has gone and the inner sole fabric has come off and split through at the heel :(

So I want another pair of trainer type, lace up, short boots, what can you recommend? I'm not looking for long boots, joddy boots or that kind of thing, I have those already :)

Heard good things on the tuffa trainer type on the endurance pages and woof do a lace up trainer riding boot that seem to get decent reviews as well. Can' comment personally as I wear ariat but have heard lots of chatter about them not lasting the way they used to. I have just bought a new pair of grasmere so will see if they hold out as ong as the original.

Reactions: Jessey
I can tell you which NOT to buy!
Mr T some Dublin ones that had laces and looked more like trainers, bloomin awful, fell to bits in about a month!!!
Also he had some short lace up Mountain Horse. Omg just dreadful! They literally collapsed and leaked within a fortnight. I wouldn't say he is destructive with them either and does not use as much as myself.

I can tell you which NOT to buy!
Mr T some Dublin ones that had laces and looked more like trainers, bloomin awful, fell to bits in about a month!!!
Also he had some short lace up Mountain Horse. Omg just dreadful! They literally collapsed and leaked within a fortnight. I wouldn't say he is destructive with them either and does not use as much as myself.
I am hard on boots and wear them 12-16 hours a day, every day, so really good to know those aren't good :)

I buy hiking trainers. They last longer and don’t seem to have the issues horse ones have. My last pair of Saloman lasted me two years :)

I buy hiking trainers. They last longer and don’t seem to have the issues horse ones have. My last pair of Saloman lasted me two years :)
I do have some and they're great in summer but I find the good grips on them get packed with mud and leave me walking it all around the office in winter :oops:

Reactions: MrC
I used to have some walking boots that I used for riding in, with chaps years ago. They were the sweades fabric sort. Useless in the long wet grass though. What about leather non steel toe caps boots.

I totally agree with you about the Ariats! Mountain Horse now just as bad. I had a pair of Dublin which lasted a couple of years ( I walk the dog in mine too) but they had a zip up the front, not laces.
Now trying a pair of Woof Wear. Only worn for the first time last night though, so can’t recommend them as yet.
I think the quality of most things has gone downhill to be honest. We are now turning into a throw away society. We want cheap and disposable which is what the manufacturers are now giving us. ( or in the case of Ariat, expensive and disposable)

Tuffa. I'm hankering after their endurance trainers. I have their Norfolk leather riding boots and country rider boots. Cannot fault them one bit! I'd hope their trainers would be as good, and I think they are on offer just now ;)

I totally agree with you about the Ariats! Mountain Horse now just as bad. I had a pair of Dublin which lasted a couple of years ( I walk the dog in mine too) but they had a zip up the front, not laces.
Now trying a pair of Woof Wear. Only worn for the first time last night though, so can’t recommend them as yet.
I think the quality of most things has gone downhill to be honest. We are now turning into a throw away society. We want cheap and disposable which is what the manufacturers are now giving us. ( or in the case of Ariat, expensive and disposable)
How have the woof wear boots faired @Star the Fell?

I killed them in June so lasted 12 months
The boot itself was fine, it was the sole which had totally worn through. Not surprising those as I probably walked 20+ miles a week in them.

newrider.com