breaking in

haflingers4ever

Jan 10, 2009
wonderful yorkshire
Hi,

I am looking for someone to show me how to start to break a horse in. If anyone has any youngsters that they need an extra pair of hands :) I am 17,very patient and want to break my sisters new pony in next year. I know the basic principles but it would be good to watch someone who knows what the're doing :)

Are there any studs local to you that you could ring up? Plenty back some of their youngsters before selling them, so it might be worth having a search and giving them a ring, asking if you could watch and assist to gain experience.
What about riding schools? Some buy youngsters to back and bring on for use in the RS - while this one's more of a long shot, you still might find something.

Remember to ask around your horsey-friends, and perhaps put up some adverts in your local tack shop. Word-of-mouth is a great way to do this, as your friends may have real experience of the people you'd assist, and you're less likely to get "dodgy" people.

Good luck. You're so wise by looking to gain experience beforehand, I hope you find something soon, and that you have fun with your sister's pony next year! :D

Best bet is to go someone that is willing to show you how to train a youngster, Untill you actually know what your doing I don't think you should train your sisters horse next year.

It takes a lot of patience and understanding of the indvidual horse.

yeah i shall, thanks

i bring on neglected horses myself and have lots and lots of time and patience, and i dont mind falling :) i've had horses that dont like saddles at firs but never a baby baby and just thought it would be a good idea to see what other people do :)

Thats what I said, if she gets to know what to do then she will be ready to start her sisters horse next year, theres no point watching someone once and thinking they can train them for a living.

Thats what I said, if she gets to know what to do then she will be ready to start her sisters horse next year, theres no point watching someone once and thinking they can train them for a living.

Which is why she has set up this thread. Forward planning. She knows she needs some experience and this thread is to helpfully get her some :)

newrider.com