Breeding Help Needed Urgently, When It Goes Dreadfully Wrong

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Help and advice needed please, my friend is too distraught.

She sent her mare to be covered and she has just had to have her put down, what happens now? The stallion kicked her.

I would assume she signed some paperwork regarding any probs with the stallion and mare being put together?

Very sorry for your friend's loss.
To answer your question however I think we need more information.
Was the mare injured to the point of needing to be PTS by the stallion or facilities?
Was it due to poor managment while she was there (poor feeding practices ect..)?
Freak accident?

Very sorry for your friend's loss.
To answer your question however I think we need more information.
Was the mare injured to the point of needing to be PTS by the stallion or facilities?
Was it due to poor managment while she was there (poor feeding practices ect..)?
Freak accident?

I think the stallion kicking her was probably a major factor. :(

I'm guessing that she was kicked by the stallion and had to be put down? I would have thought the stud should have insurance for this, although depending on the stud it's a possibility that they may not? If they don't and she wants to claim then I guess her best bet is to seek legal advice?

They cover naturally so mare and stallion were running together, nature takes its course. My friend got call to say she had been kicked and had broken leg. Vet called and spoke to her on the phone as really bad break, bone in pieces.
Friend on way to stud now, it is few hours away. She is devastated as couldn't even say goodbye.

Sorry, I totally missed the stallion kicking her bit.
I cannot even begin to guess what your poor friend is going through right now.

I'm inclinded to say it was a tragic accident. It's something which could happen in any group of horses. If the stallion has otherwise been good with mares in the past and has no history of such behavour (if he does then probably needs to be a few pounds lighter) then it's not likely that the stallion owners could have reasonally predicted or prevented it.

I was going to say it depends if correct mating procedures were being followed - but having read that it was a natural covering I have to agree with the above post about it being a tragic accident. Kicking is one of the unavoidable risks with that method of covering and I would doubt that anyone was at fault.

He was picked for his temperament, lots of research done before sending mare. She watched him at competitions. Actually went to watch not from video footage.

Will update when know more. Think contract says about events beyond studs control, guess comes under risk you take when letting your pony run with.

Stud saying not responsible so friend will have to claim on her insurance. By agreeing to bring mare and leave her she has agreed to the terms in the contract. They are not negligent etc etc.
However, my friend is very upset and angry. Doesn't think stallion should carry on being stallion.

How awful. :(
I would agree with previous assessments that if that type of covering is chosen potential injury due to an accident is a possibility and can probably not be sued for

Do we know the exact REASON the stallion kicked the mare? I've watched horses in this sort of situation. Can be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Not saying that helps your poor friend or her mare. But I don't think the stud is negligent if she chose to put her mare there and use natural cover. If you want risk-free covering, you use AI. Horses, sadly, will be horses. :( I am sure news of this incident will spread like wildfire, therefore obliterating the reputation of this stallion, and possibly the stud.

Tragic accident, one reason not many people want a natural 'put them out together' covering, only totally free of risk covering is AI.

Breeding is a high risk situation sadly and a lot can go wrong, was your friends mare insured for breeding?

I don't honestly think this will impact on the stallion or the stud , often using this method of covering stallions have been seriously injured by mares which is why it is seldom practiced.

I was going to make that point too, eml....there's a far greater risk to stallions from being double barrelled by mares. :(

I had to drive a mare to stud over here, she was taken there, covered, and taken home again within the hour - 3 times. She didn't half lay into the stallion the first time. The stallion's owner told the mare's owner she 'wasn't ready'! Poor stallion didn't know what hit him, literally. :(

I don't think this accident WARRANTS any negativity towards the stud or stallion (but you know what the horse world is like!) ;) He's an animal, not a machine... accidents happen. :( Sadly. Such a shame for the mare. :(

I was going to make that point too, eml....there's a far greater risk to stallions from being double barrelled by mares. :(

I had to drive a mare to stud over here, she was taken there, covered, and taken home again within the hour - 3 times. She didn't half lay into the stallion the first time. The stallion's owner told the mare's owner she 'wasn't ready'! Poor stallion didn't know what hit him, literally. :(

I don't think this accident WARRANTS any negativity towards the stud or stallion (but you know what the horse world is like!) ;) He's an animal, not a machine... accidents happen. :( Sadly. Such a shame for the mare. :(

Totally agree with what Karin has put - it was a tragic accident and my heart goes out to your friend and although I know she must want to blame someone - I really dont think anyone's to blame.

One of those things.

Our stallion got a wallop in the knackers post sex (seen it happen twice to 2 different stallions actually) which involved the stallion's bits being cold hosed, waiting for vet and some touch-and-go will he/won't he ever again scenario.

If you let mares and a stallion run together, you accept shit can happen.

Sorry for your friend but I do not get this blame culture at all tbh.

newrider.com