Brilliant Lesson!!

puzzles

Nov 11, 2006
Bedfordshire
Hi all!

Yesterday my best friend (who rides occasionally, and usually with me those times) and I has a one-off semi-private lesson (bloody expensive and all!) with an instructor who has apprently taught at the RS for a while, but i've never had hger before.

Recently I've felt stuck in a rut with my riding, never really being challenged how i'd like. There are things that seem so simple - including half-halts, getting a horse engaged and on the bit, the role of each hand and leg, etc - but I've never really been taught them properly before (other than teaching myself by studying books and things, but they can only help you so far and I wasn't sure where I was going wrong).
HOWEVER! After yesterdays lesson i felt SO SO SO happy. This lady really is my kind of RI; she is so sympathetic but firm, knows exactly what she is talking about and i trust her. We did so much in just an hour, including working in an outline, half-halts and all of the above, plus jumping, transitions (inc.walk-canter) ... I feel everything just fell into place.

It just goes to show what a difference a more suited RI can make! Though I love my usual RI, she did used to pick on me and we have very different methods, but I can't move schools.

:D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, it doesn't seem very important and is a bit random, but i had to tell someone!

xx

I always used to think of myself as a very average rider-could stay on but never got the finer or more complicated stuff. Always in awe of riders who could get outlines easily etc. Had been riding for 13yrs and enjoyed it but wasn't going anywhere.
Then I went to the Netherlands (yes I can hear you groan, she's banging on about that again!). Thing was I learnt more in the those three years than I had in the previous 13. Like yours the instructor and me clicked. What she said made sense and worked and suddenly I could do all the things that had eluded me for so long. All of a sudden other people were complimenting me instead of the other way round! lol. Still got a long way to learn but she gave me so much confidence in my riding and taught me how to do things that no one else had ever explianed before. No shouting just calm explanations and praise. She's now a very good friend and I want to clone her so I can have my own Sonja to teach me over here! Makes such a difference when you find a good one.

Yes by trying a different school with more schooled horses, I have been able to canter around the whole arena comfortably whereas in my other school it was always a mad canter down the side toward the stable:eek:

Also with this school I am getting more of a feeling what it is like to get the horse to flex/into an outline/on the bit etc as they are so more schooled to do so..

newrider.com