Bringing a horse home

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
When I bought Ziggy the dealer arranged his delivery. All I had to do was meet the trailer at the gate with a head collar (which was all I had).

Just supposing I buy Charlie, I need to arrange transport for him for what is a 4 hour journey at horse box speed. I'd like the experience to be as easy for him as possible, and easy for his current owner, too. I thought when I go down in a couple of weeks I would take a leather head collar (I understand that transporters prefer leather) and a lead rope, and a big hay net so the owner doesn't have to lose one of her own. Then I had a thought. I thought I might take a rug that Mattie has worn to hang on the wall of his stable for a couple of weeks, so that when he meets Mattie, the smell of him is familiar. This is like taking a towel to a dog breeder whose pup you are buying, so that when you bring the pup home it can come with something familiar and safe-smelling.

First question: am I bonkers? If not, is there anything I could take that might work better?

Second question: what have I forgotten?

You're overthinking things Jane - go and meet him first! If you use a good licensed transporter and you tell him it's an untravelled youngster then he'll know what he's dealing with - remember these people do it as a living & know what they're doing. If you can get a recommendation for a transporter so much the better.

I'm not sure taking one of Mattie's rugs would do any good, I think that's more of an issue if they already knew each other & you were trying to ease separation anxiety. They'll get to know each other if you get him & being a youngster he'll probably be submissive & she'll probably be more tolerant of him than she would an older horse. You wouldn't worry about getting an older horse used to her smell first, would you?

Reactions: PePo and Jessey
You're overthinking things Jane - go and meet him first! If you use a good licensed transporter and you tell him it's an untravelled youngster then he'll know what he's dealing with - remember these people do it as a living & know what they're doing. If you can get a recommendation for a transporter so much the better.

I'm not sure taking one of Mattie's rugs would do any good, I think that's more of an issue if they already knew each other & you were trying to ease separation anxiety. They'll get to know each other if you get him & being a youngster he'll probably be submissive & she'll probably be more tolerant of him than she would an older horse. You wouldn't worry about getting an older horse used to her smell first, would you?
Thank you! I already have a transporter in mind, he travelled my friend Suzi's horses down to Devon and they were difficult so I am confident that he's good. And thanks for the viewpoint on the rugs. I'm not sure if I would do that for an older horse - I think I might - but it will be a lot easier not to take a rug as I am travelling by train!

Reactions: carthorse
When I picked mine up they took out the partition. She traveled herself at 45 degrees and fell asleep.
Had I taken a rug for her to sniff we would have back then taken 17 rugs. They buddy up. You will get the licking I am a baby I expect.
Unless he's like mine that nipped everyone's nose!

Reactions: carthorse
Oooooh! Exciting! I think the most important thing is a good transport company. Knowing it's out of your control for those 4 hours, you need to trust them, so going with one that you've had recommended is great. Good luck!

I would bring the headcollar and rope, but surely the transporter would provide a haynet?

I wouldn’t bother with the rug, I have never heard of this before.

I think it is great you are so excited.

Yup I'd not think too much on it before you meet him, TBH anyone who is selling a horse would at least expect it to leave with a head collar and rope wouldn't they? they could always bung 20 quid on the price to include it if they are that worried or tell you up front you need to get one for it and you could send it with the transporter or they will likely have one they can use just for the transport.

I was bricking it about moving ours up here, Storm had only ever been moved once or twice previously but the transporters took care of everything.(Eric Gillies) I didn't have leather headcollars either! Just their normal usual everyday ones. I quite like your idea with the rug and making the smell familiar - not sure if it would work but maybe wouldn't do any harm either?

Reactions: Frances144
I wouldn't worry about rugs or haynet. The current owners might not appreciate your horses rugs as you could be taking in disease to there livery yard if your rug isn't clean or disinfected.
When I brought my horse home. The owner just gave me the head collar and a tatty leadrope that they used for him. You could take one with you but I'm guessing being a baby, Ziggy's might not be the right size. Or you just give the owner extra money to replace if they are sending one with transporter.

newrider.com