Bringing a horse that has been on box rest for five weeks back into work..

jcagrove

Apr 28, 2006
Berkshire
I am trying to work out a training plan for bringing my horse back into work after being on box rest for about 5 weeks after a tieback operation. He was at a good level of fitness before hand and is 15. According to the BHS manuals, it could take anything between 6 to 8 weeks for a riding club horse, however my yard owner thinks it should take longer. Other examples from people would be helpful. As I really want to do a dressage test mid Nov, but don't want to push him if it isn't a good idea ..

have to say I'd disagree with 6-8 weeks!
I would say a dressage test mid nov will be well within him.
When you say good fitness beforehand-to what extent do you mean? I.e galloping out or?
I'd guess he may have lost condition through the op as well?

I was riding him about five times a week, varied work including jumping and cantering hills .. I think I need to see how he goes to start with .. I can start riding him again from the 21st September .. I can't wait!

For me, it would be a week of walk and trot hacks, then introducing cantering in week 2, keeping it all below 30-40mins then back into normal.

Thanx! I've been told, one week walk, and then a day walk for each week off, but beyond that I'm not sure! As long as I can do it within about 5-6 weeks I'll be chuffed!

newrider.com