Broken Fences

BrokenSaddle

Sassafrass Tea
Nov 3, 2004
Montana
Visit site
Broken Fences - updated - any suggestions???

My Kids broke out of their winter pasture yesterday. I think they got spooked by snow mobiles being riden in the pasture accross the road. Normally Sassy just watches them and doesn't get bothered but the gelding I have here right now has never seen one before and I think he got really scared. The good thing was that neither one of them was seriously injured, the top wire is barbed, but they are still a bit spooked today. They went from the winter pasture into the summer pasture so they were still here and not in any danger. Thank heavens. :) I have about 60 feet of fence to repair when it warms up a bit but thats all.

I have attached a couple of pictures of Sassy to show her off.:D

Attachments

• my girl sass.jpg
    my girl sass.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Thanks kedwards, She is very sweet, she is only under saddle a year now and we have lots of work to do. She is lazy and doesn't like to work. But she is coming along very good for now, I'm hoping to be on her more next year when she will be 4 and hopefully a little more willing.

Thanks pengapenga she is a joy.

Only now I'm stumped. Normally when shes done something that has upset her it doesn't take very long for her to become her old self. This time she isn't or hasn't calmed down yet. She is somewhat off her feed, still doesn't want to be touched and by this I mean she hasn't even come over for a scratch or anything. I've checked her for injuries and can find nothing but a couple of very small scratchs on her back leg, no limp or anything. The gelding, Coco has come over and also stands when I walk up to him but Sassy is being very standoffish and I am truely puzzled.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We repaired the fence today but I really don't want to put them back in the pasture until she is her old self again, I have noticed that the snowmobiles are still out but have moved several pastures away. They can still see them occassionally and can probably hear them even tho I can't and I'm wondering if this is the problem. She has been in this pasture for 3 years now and I have never had a problem like this before - I really think it has alot to do with the gelding but I don't know how to fix it.

BrokenSaddle it sounds like Sassy got seriously spooked by the horse eating snowmobiles. She may need a few more days to recover from her ordeal. don't force her into anything just let her come to you in her own time, perhaps spend some time near her maybe talking quietly to her curiosity will eventually get the better of her and she will come over. I don't think I would put her back in the paddock for a few days especially if the snowmobiles can still be seen or heard as she may brake the fence again and injure herself. Before putting her back perhaps lead her round the paddock to show her it is safe.

Good luck and hope she recovers her old self soon.

Thanks pengapenga, she did seem a little bit better this evening, still not real friendly like before the "incident". My OH has already said that they are NOT going back in the pasture until HE is ready to let them, he doesn't want to fix another fence in sub zero temps. I'm thinking that might be for the best right now. The gelding, Coco seems to be completely recovered from his fright which just somehow doesn't seem fair since he caused the fright in the first place. I don't wish him ill, it's just I'm worried about my girl. Then again if he is completely calmed down maybe that will help to calm her down.

Sorry to ramble on.

My OH put the horses back in the pasture last evening and everything seems to be fine now. I haven't seen a snowmobile for several days - the neighbors kids are back at school - so all seems to be all right. Sassy is still a bit standoffish but hopefully that will improve very soon.:D

Today is the 7th - Friday, and the first time in a week she finally came to me for a love. I was out feeding and she wouldn't go out to the feeder, so I decided to feed her in the corral and she walked right up to me and put her head on my shoulder. I was so happy I just gave her a big hug. I did notice that she had a spot about the size of a quarter missing out of her hide on her front right shoulder so I think she and Coco have had a spat. But.... she is just fine and back to my loving girl.
:D :D :D :D

Thanks pengapenga, Its great to have my girl back. Since friday she is her old self with me and I love it. She and Coco are still not getting on very well but thats ok as he will only be here for about 2 to 3 months more.:)

Originally posted by BrokenSaddle
I meant to ask you pengapenga do you have a Fresiean (sp)? I think they are soooo beautiful.

Yes i have a Fresian stallion called Frits. I absolutly adore the friesian breed:) the more i get to know them the more I love them:) and the fresian breeders/enthusiasts (sp) are really friendly and helpful especially to a new freisian owner. I have pics of him in the cafe area

Hi, Sassy looks fab and such a pretty deep color.
Sorry to hijack your thread but just wondered if you can help me, I'm coming out to Montana/Wyoming (Billings, then to Cody and Cheyanne) again in september and am gonna be looking for a new or SH saddle (reiner) for my filly - can you recomend anywhere?
I also love buying show gear so if you know of anywhere for that and, oh just about any thing for my horses so they look as stunning as possible? Don't mind where it is as we are gonna spend a week driving round then heading up to a ranch in Lovell for a week, again sorry to hijack but just noticed your from Montana.
Thanks in advance
J

Just about any farm or ranch supply store in Montana will have tack. Some of it pretty nice and some for people like me who just ride as a hobby. One place that really has nice stuff is Grizzley Saddlery in Great Falls, Montana. They also do custom work. That was the only place I could find a black bridle for my girl. I don't show or anything like that. Good luck in finding what your looking for.

newrider.com