Bruised sole?

emma314

Jan 3, 2002
Cornwall, UK
Frosty has gone lame :( She looked quite bad in the field (the ground has gone really hard at the moment) but walking up to the yard on the soft grass she was a lot better. There's no heat in her legs or hooves. I asked the YO to look at her and he reckons she's lame on her near fore, however, when standing still she was holding her off fore more :confused: She was very reluctant to pick her near fore up and was quite jumpy when I picked her foot out.

She is putting some weight on all four feet, not hopping lame, but definitely uncomfortable. My YO thought that it was likely to just be a bruised sole. Does that seem likely? I've got a trimmer coming out on Tuesday to do her feet anyway so hopefully she should be able to cast a little more light on it! It's horrible to see her limping along though :(

Sounds just like Belle I'm afraid. She was very lame the first day and then not too bad, but she has an abscess lurking and it is proving a real pain. I made the mistake of waiting to see how she would do after a couple of days poulticing, but I wish I'd got the vet straight away. he might have caught it before it migrated all over the place. Sadly just my experience.:eek:

Hope he's better soon.:)

It could be bruising but if multiple feet seem sore then it'd be worth treating as LGL/laminitis and depriving of grass and all sugary stuff until you're sure it is just bruising.

newrider.com