"Buddy" in his New Saddle (Criollo)

saddle fitting

hi, i,m new here as well, i bought a criollo called pedro from corporate horse last summer. his saddle sticks up at the back as well though it doesn't slip or cause him any problems i am alittle worried and am going to have it checked out. it was included when i bought him and it is very heavy but so comfortable compared to english saddles. Pedro is a really lovely horse with a great temperament i have posted some pictures of him in the frost on my profile

Hi
What ever you do donot use Don from thewesternbootandsaddle company for saddle fitting, he nearly crippled my horse. he doesnt answer your emails and he charges a fortune, the man is a "cowboy", im still not happy with the second saddle he has fitted for me - Buddy has a bare batch on either side of his rump where it rubs. I managed to get hold of Don today on the phone but could not get him to set a date to recheck my saddle - he promised after sales services - uh only if you keep giving him £100 each time!!! BEWARE!!!:mad:

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Don, since I recall roughly a year ago you asked to hear from people with good experiences and I was one to respond. I can't relate to the problems you've had, as I've bought 2 of my 3 Western saddles from Don, 1 from another supplier and I've not experienced any problems, either in fit or comms. All I can say, though, is that I have 2 QHs which are quite different but fairly easy to fit, I haven't asked Don to fit a non-QH. Maybe you should seek out someone who regularly fits non-QHs, I suspect Maria Owen might, Sequoia Western do too but again you need to be careful who is actually doing the fitting itself - but in any case, if you've experienced problems with 2 saddles so far, may be worth really investigating where the problems lie. I like the sound of that impression pad, could be useful just anyway.

On an associated point - are you absolutely sure that rubs are being caused by saddle/blanket? Sorry if that sounds ridiculous, only last year my TB mare was getting (so I thought) a rub on one side from her Western saddle/blanket. Turns out - since I've been riding her mostly in an English saddle this winter - that it's actually caused by an under rug, nothing to do with the tack, and is now appearing on both sides of her loin where the rugs are twisting slightly.

Good luck in getting your saddle sorted though, there's nothing more worrying and frustrating.

Trust our boys to be so awkward to fit saddles to lol

I have given up on the whole western saddle thing with Nico, he just wont let me near him with a western saddle !!!!!! And have now settled with my Wintec Aussie stock which is fantastic - that said I had it rechecked in December for fit and it felt fine after a bit of playing, and had to have the fitter and master saddler back out last week cos it felt funny again !!!!! He has changed shape 3 times in 4 months so this is why the saddle felt funny (gone from an initial fit of wide upto extra wide and now back to wide again). Aargh horses :eek: :eek: Oh well at least they didnt charge me for the latest fit cos of my concerns - as he is only young I dont want to screw him up for the rest of his life ;) ;)

He could well be, as his first owner found him a bit too much to handle on rides !!! He is a lovely boy ........ and such a character too !!! :rolleyes:

newrider.com