Building a riding arena cost

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Has anyone built their own school/riding arena? Did you do it yourselves or get a company in and what did the final cost work out at?

First one cost £25,000 - all bells and whistles, post and railed, lots of drains, hardcore, membrane and then a fancy smancy fibre and mixed sand surface. It was a good size too. The surface was expensive but then again the drains are what cost the most too. (Size was 40 x 20)
Built another one last year - just sand, lots and lots of drains, no fencing required but a lot of digging out and levelling - (not something we could do we had to have a contractor doing the work) £9,000.
Not cheap either - but never floods and provides me with an all weather pootling area. I would say not to skimp on drains, because no matter what kind of surface you use it will flood eventually - get the foundations right. It's a waste of money (no matter what kind of land you have) paying out - a lot of people won't pay out for drains but they really really are needed. It may look like the cat's whiskers on a nice sunny day, but come winter - no drains equals a big mess.
It also is dependent on how much digging and levelling your contractor would have to do.

Reactions: No_Angel
A friend has just been quoted £75k for. a 50 x 25 arena. She went with another company !

I have been quoted £8 k to replace the membrane in mine. So scrape back the surface, remove membrane, level off the base stones, new membrane and replace existing surface. I will need to start saving.

First one cost £25,000 - all bells and whistles, post and railed, lots of drains, hardcore, membrane and then a fancy smancy fibre and mixed sand surface. It was a good size too. The surface was expensive but then again the drains are what cost the most too. (Size was 40 x 20)
Built another one last year - just sand, lots and lots of drains, no fencing required but a lot of digging out and levelling - (not something we could do we had to have a contractor doing the work) £9,000.
Not cheap either - but never floods and provides me with an all weather pootling area. I would say not to skimp on drains, because no matter what kind of surface you use it will flood eventually - get the foundations right. It's a waste of money (no matter what kind of land you have) paying out - a lot of people won't pay out for drains but they really really are needed. It may look like the cat's whiskers on a nice sunny day, but come winter - no drains equals a big mess.
It also is dependent on how much digging and levelling your contractor would have to do.

Thanks Trewsers, was your new one a 20 x 40 as well? What type of sand did you use? And did you have hardcore put under the sand? Do you have any pics?

I'm thinking mine will be more like a square roundpen, about 27m x 27m.

Thanks Trewsers, was your new one a 20 x 40 as well? What type of sand did you use? And did you have hardcore put under the sand? Do you have any pics?

I'm thinking mine will be more like a square roundpen, about 27m x 27m.

New one is 40 x 15 (ish) it was really to make use of a spot that adjoined the garden and wasn't doing a lot. The sand we bought is unique to Orkney, it's not builders sand - we bought off someone who supplies it for arenas in particular. Yes there's hardcore under it too - from the local supplier.
I've got pics - I'll pop some on.

It took a while to compact nicely - we had the contractor come back and use a machine - like a compressor? It was noisy lol and rolled it hard. It has got better and better since last year - and as I said doesn't flood at all. Really pleased with it and instead of needing fencing we have roses growing around it. Thought Mr T is going to strim back a bit because one area that links to the garden makes him spooky.

Wow that was a lot of digging! :D Thank you for the pics :) The area I am thinking of is flat-ish, so might only need a little bit of leveling (I'm hoping that will bring the cost down a little bit!) Do you know what depth of sand you used in the end?

Reactions: Trewsers
Wow that was a lot of digging! :D Thank you for the pics :) The area I am thinking of is flat-ish, so might only need a little bit of leveling (I'm hoping that will bring the cost down a little bit!) Do you know what depth of sand you used in the end?

The sand is six inches deep -(you really need minimum four).

If your area is pretty flat to begin with that will definitely cut costs. Will you be hiring man and machine or machine and doing it yourselves?

If your area is pretty flat to begin with that will definitely cut costs. Will you be hiring man and machine or machine and doing it yourselves?

Probably hiring a man with a digger. We had a guy in to scrape an area for us and he was really good so will probably try and get him back.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com