Bull fighting with donkeys

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
We have a magnificent display of bullfighting, courtesy of Diva Donkey Aimee. Aimee is, by nature, a brat, an in your face, bargy, pushy, self confident little madam who pushes the boundaries to mars and back. Rules do not apply to Aimee in her view.

As she hasn't been doing any street collections this year, she has not been asked to do anything much, and the diva donkey tendencies have blossomed to the point that they now need to be under control.

She has been very pushy at doorways, i.e. her take on it she opens the door and comes out whether you like it or not. Suze's trainer gave me a look of you don't really let her get away with that and firmly placed a hand on her forehead and made her back up....

Ok, so serious retraining of brat donkey. As I want to show her again in donkey classes, and she needs to relearn her manners.

So she borrowed Fleurette's rope halter, long rope and my dressage whip...yes a very long one needed.

She was at the door, refusing to go back, so got tapped on the nose to move her away, let Ferguson and Voddy out.

Aimee is now incandescent with rage at being left behind. After five minutes discussion on how to open the door and get in without being flattened by flying donkey, I get the halter on her and ask her to stand nicely. She stands pawing the ground and charges at me to knock me over. So she gets her hindquarters moved - 10 times in the stable, this is a world record, I don't normally do anything inside, but she was clearly just going to try to drag me to the field, all 8hh of her, so important to gain some control before opening the door. If she could talk, I would be getting a right barrage of abuse, her ears are on overdrive, her tail is swishing, teeth bares, she is furious.

Eventually we get her to stand and face me safely, another run at me, so swishy stick and move your derriere. repeat this another five times. She is standing pawing the ground, swishing her tail, steam coming out of every orifice. She is furious, it is a bit like a bullfight, I need a cape.

Eventually we make it out on the yard, she attempts to leg it to the field, another 5 move your quarters sharply till she calms down. A few charges at me just to show she is not beaten yet. I can hardly stop laughing as she is so aggrieved and determined and she backs up, paws the ground and then comes straight at you!

Eventually she listens and i get her attention, even though her expression is definitely more muttering and swearing under her breath. Then we do some nice walking, and I ask her to trot up like she would have to do at a show. Trots up beautifully, gets ahead, round we go again, till she is back in place.

At the end of 20 minutes, she had finished her tantrum and was doing everything perfectly.

I have never seen such a rage, almost pml.....I wish I had it on video, it must have looked hilarious. She wears her heart on her sleeve always and today she completely lost it, and threw her toys and the pram at me.

That has cheered me up no end! Bad Aimee! They can be so stubborn can't they? She sounds like Bertie, he is also given to having the odd strop or three when thwarted.:giggle:

it was a full blown tantrum, utterly hilarious....I shall play some Spanish music next time and we can dance. It was the way she pawed and then charged at you like a bull that really was histerical.

Thank goodness she is little.

She knows exactly how to behave, she just needs the occasional very firm reminder that she does not rule the world.

newrider.com