Buying a horse - is this fate or not?

cassiejane

Dec 15, 2005
I want you guys to tell me what you think of this.
You might remember that I went to see a horse a few weeks ago and really liked him but someone else bought him first.

The owner called me last night it turns out that the new owner did not get on with him and has sent him back. Apparently he has been misbehaving being strong, would not walk out on hacks and bombing round like a mad thing on the lunge. So she has send him back after 2 weeks.

Now he was advertised as a first horse and this type of behaviour is just the sort of thing I do not want but when I rode him he was really quiet, although I must admit he is completely unfit and could be a different horse with a little bit of muscled and fitness.

I wonder if this is fate giving me a second chance with this horse, as I was rather upset when I missed him in the first place. But hearing about his behaviour at the new home has worried me because although I am not a novice rider I am nervous of fast horses and like something calm and sensible (dont we all ).

Would I be mad to consider buying him, should I politely say no thank you or should I go back with my instructor for a second look, what do you guys think?

I reckon its fate saying you had a lucky escape. Might just be settling in problems but you have to ask yourself wether you would want to deal with that sort of behaviour for up to six months?

I agree with DH. I bought my horse unfit and had these settling problems which I could deal with, but it got worse to a point though as she became fit... took a while to get that under control again!

Why don't you ask the seller if you can have the horse on a weeks trial and make sure you do loads of different stuff with him to really test him out. Ifthe seller genuinely wants the horse to go to a good home she will do this as an act of good faith. Plenty of people do - either that or go and ride him every night at their place.

I would definately have another look - what harm can it do? At least then you won't be wondering "what if?".

The exact same situation happened with the cob I bought with my dad. I found him while my dad was on holiday, and went to view him with a friend. I thought he was great and arranged for my dad to see him on the day after they got home. Got a call that morning to say he'd been sold, then another call in the evening to say he was coming home again and was I still interested. I took it as fate telling me that he was the horse we should have, and we love him to bits (even if he is a little toad sometimes - he tore the pocket off my new Harry Hall coat last night :rolleyes: ).

To be honest I just dont know what to do
I'm in two minds really...his reported behaviour is really worrying me.

I could ask her for a trial but she has refused this request before so I dont think it will be a possibility.

I just think that if he comes to be and behaves like that I will be really scared by it, as I am a nervous rider (fine on the ground but on the horses back I would go to pieces)

He's not cheap for what he is and what hes done so if I end up having to resell him I could lose quite a lot of money which I cant really afford to do.
I think the only way is to be honest with her and explain how I feel and that I would only be interested if she could offer me a trial and if not then she had better readvertise him.

Yes do that - you are entitled to tell her what you think.
Sounds a bit iffy if she is not prepared to let him go on trial after what has just happened - can you go ride him every day?
Either that or buy him and send him back if it doesn't work out like the previous person before.
Gut feeling is that maybe he can be tempramental. If you are even slightly worried then leave well alone. Confidence is a tricky issue to be playing with and if you are nervous to start with it may be a downward spiral. There are plenty of other horses out there. Keep looking your ream pony is defo out there - you just gotta find him!

I could ask her for a trial but she has refused this request before so I dont think it will be a possibility.

Yes - but last time she had another buyer all ready to take him - and by the sounds of it they DID have him on trial ? (or how come they returned him ?)

You are in a stronger negotiating position now than then - USE IT ! ;)

I just think that if he comes to be and behaves like that I will be really scared by it, as I am a nervous rider (fine on the ground but on the horses back I would go to pieces)

So you have to manage the risk - by having him on trial.

He's not cheap for what he is and what hes done so if I end up having to resell him I could lose quite a lot of money which I cant really afford to do.

Exactly - you can't afford to take that risk - so DON'T ;)

I think the only way is to be honest with her and explain how I feel and that I would only be interested if she could offer me a trial and if not then she had better readvertise him.

and you needed advice from us because..... :p

i horse i had on loan was very difficult when i first met him- soon settled. He was then sold - i didn't have themoney at the time to buy him. He was also sent back, apperantly crushed the woman against a wall, unable to ride him etc. my chance was back to buy him and.........

I bought him ;) never looked back - hes been a complete gem.

Doesn't mean that will always happen and I had experience of him before that, but he did try me when i first loaned him, charging at me when lunging, missed my face with a huge bite, tried to corner me in stable.

Now - and as my friend who knew him then, completely different horse. So gentle and caring and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Horses aren't born bad.......mainly just misunderstood

I would go and see him, no harm, specially now that you'll be looking for more things. If he is currently more fit and hyper, just as he was at his buyer's place, he'll display the same behaviour for you. However, I would not touch him unless he came on a week's trial.

I think your own suggestion of asking for a trial is a good one, if you are going to go after this horse at all. personally, I think I'd listen to the doubts - I didn't with one horse I bought and he was a compelte disaster, and my first impression had been spot on!

Ross

newrider.com