Calmers

emma314

Jan 3, 2002
Cornwall, UK
Just wondering what people's thoughts on calmers are. My mare has quite an anxious temperament (my farrier said that she'd worry over a carrot!!). She came from a rescue and is still settling in with me and the new yard. She's fine out in the field but gets very stressy when being stabled, particularly with new people around.

Obviously I am working on the stabling issues, trying to make being stabled enjoyable for her, but I wondered whether there might be a supplement that would help take the edge off her nerves.

I have just recieved a sample of the new Horsehage Alfalfa Oil and with it they have sent some money off coupons for their new Mollichaff Calmer. It sounds quite good.
It contains among other things, camomile which is calming and elevated levels of magnesium as if that is deficient in their diet it can result in increased muscle contraction making the horse less able to relam and more likely to become excitable or fizzy (just quoting what they say) Also B1 and B12 which help decrease anxiety. It can be used as a sole feed as it contains a broad spectrum vit and min supplement.
Not sure if they have anything about it on the Horsehage website but it sounds quite good.
I am sure there are lots of other calmers on the market but just thought I would mention this as its infront of me :D

Hi we have just changed from feel good 30 calmer which worked ok but she would leave alot of it at the bottom of her feed bucket,to topspec calmer its only about £20 its apple flavour and has worked bril on my spooky stressed out girl,it hasnt taken her "im the boss" attitude away but its taken the edge away.you dont wanna turn them into complete dopes.:D

I dont feed a calmer as such, but can certainly comment on the positive benefits of magnesium!

Going back to the summer; B was being a total hormonal pain in the derrier, so decided I'd try her on a homeopathic medication to see if a hormonal imbalance was to blame for her attitude problem (has been proven in humans - Chaste Tree Berry). She'd run out of mag a few weeks earlier and I'd been wondering if it actually helped... so started her on the D&H supplement instead.

BIG MISTAKE

Mare went completely off her head, as in dangerous. Charging at me in the field, bucking rearing etc - never seen anything like it, she will certainly question my leadership at times but had never seen it to that extent, positively screaming at me. I spent a good period of that time sending her away from me. I had a complete loss of confidence (which is earthquake-like at the best of times), booked a behaviourist to come and help - and stopped the Chaste berry and double-dosed on magnesium.

3 weeks later we were down to the usual half dose of mag, and I had my Mrs B back. It was interesting in a way, knew she had that aspect to her character but it was always manageable, so clearly I do need to work on my leadership (behaviourist still coming!).

I do very much believe that - for her - Magnesium has a big part to play in her overall behaviour and for us is the most effective 'calmer'.

Thanks for the replies. Strangely enough she was as quiet as a lamb in the stable today!! I've just gone and bought some NAF pink powder as I'm not sure she's getting all the necessary vits and minerals. Maybe if she's feeling healthier in herself it might affect her behaviour as well. We'll see, if that doesn't help then I might give the magnesium a try.

Portia - that's amazing that magnesium had such a huge effect on your mare. At least it's good to know that her behaviour is manageable with the magnesium. Frosty isn't aggressive at all just very nervous (which has been known to lead to her kicking if she feels cornered).

:) Have to say I was rather surprised too. Had been dubious about mag, knew it had a small effect in that she was less anxious on it but her behaviour went a tad beyond mild when I stopped it! I suspect the Chaste berry had an adverse effect for her as well, so that combined with no mag = completely mad mare; however I have NO intention of repeating the exercise to find out...:D

Had great success with mag too. I feed magox heavy (ebay) its nice n cheap too!
Recommended dose is 4g / 100kgs bodyweight but my fella is just over 600kgs and 24g knocks him out! 4g/day and he is sooooooooooooo much better.

Had great success with mag too. I feed magox heavy (ebay) its nice n cheap too!
Recommended dose is 4g / 100kgs bodyweight but my fella is just over 600kgs and 24g knocks him out! 4g/day and he is sooooooooooooo much better.

yup, same :D - barefoot basics supply it only I use the magnesium heavy, same dosage.

newrider.com