Can anyone recommend a calmer for a moody mare?

My mare was spooky rather than moody, but I use NAF Magicalm. It just takes the edge off her nervousness! I believe there's one called Stroppy Mare (I think its by Dodson and Horrell) but I've never had experience of this one.

My mare wasn't what I would call "marey" but in the spring would get crabby and at one stage took a large lump out of my mother's back as she was being led.

She is however quite a spooky type. And quite bossy in the field at times.

I checked various supplements and decided to try Oestress. Not only has it helped with the spring crabbiness, but she is more chilled overall. She still has her moments but they are less often and less extreme.

So she has stayed on it. If I remember right, it has magnesium in it - which is one of the things used in the general calmers.

Echo the Oestress-vet told me it was the only one that really works. You might want to try a magnesium supplement in her feed-has been brilliant for a mate's horse on box rest.Carl Hester calming syringes worked best for her rig.

I used to use one called Nupafeed, quiet expensive but really good stuff. Its more of an on going thing though rather than say a quick fix for a show!! :)

Another vote for nuperfeed, ive tried so many supplements on my moody/stress head mare and this is the only one that i could notice a difference with.

dont know where you are based - but i have a huge container of feedmark steady up you are welcome to have as i no longer own a stressy mare - PM me if its any use to you

Mag ox or a similar magnesium supplement may help as it is often the main ingredient in a lot of the expensive calmers and it is a common deficiency. It is certainly a lot more cost effective if it does work. Might be worth a try?

Hi,

Just to say I have a tub of oestress (big tub used for a fewdays) big bottle of Nupafeed (used once or twice ) and Global Herbs Supercalm (used for a week) If you are going to try any of these I want to sell mine so pm me if interested as it would be a cheaper option in case you wanted to try any of the ones I mentioned.
x

A quick question those that use oestruss do you leave your mares on it from spring until autumn continously then break for the winter and start again the following spring

Tracy

tbh I've just kept Fi on it, she seems so much more chilled. Plus I know she has been in season as late as Nov before, and could be in season quite early in the spring. So its just been easier to keep it the same.

She's never been a very moody obviously hormonal mare, but as it is working, I'm sticking with it !

heya
i woul definitley reccomend anything globalherbs, supercalm, supercalm instant and thorobredcalmer have all worked a treat on my mare, maybe have a look and see if they o one specifically for hormonal mares?

newrider.com