can you help sort my thoughts please????

cassiebird

Jul 4, 2009
hertfordshire
I have two fjords, one 9 years and one almost 3 years. I bought Cass when she was in foal. At the time I had no itentions of buying a horse but she melted my heart and I couldnt leave her in the disgusting place that she was at.....Anyway my dilemma is
1. There are going to be changes to the way my yard is run and costs which will double my costs and I cant afford this amount.
2. There are no other yards in my area that do grass livery only (I have been looking for a while)
3. My daughter has no interest in riding and I know I dont have the time to bring on two on my own.
4. Daughter is due to start college in September so she wont even be able to help with the general jobs.
5. I have a few health issues which are being investigated at the moment which worry me if I cant physically manage.

I know that I have to find one or both of them a new home:redface:
It has been suggested that I keep Alf as he is a blank canvas and geldings are easier but Cass isnt really any problem. She was professionally backed almost 2 years ago and due to many different reasons she hasnt been ridden that much since. (My issues not hers!). Before I got her she was a broodmare.

She had lgl last year (no pedal bone rotation) so needs a close eye kept on her.

It absoloutely breaks my heart to even think about this but with everything that is going on at my yard, daughter, and no possibility of increasing my working hours to cover costs (I have asked but so many redunancies at the moment theres no chance) I have no choice.

My dilemma is do I find new homes for one, both?? My daughter is really upset about this as am I but I cant keep them both as I know i cant manage.

Your opiniions would be greatfully received as it will help me to order my thoughts:redface:

You sound like you have made the decision to have the youngster rehomed.

This just leaves you with what to do about your mare. How about keeping hold of her for the time being and seeing how you get on? Is there any rush to make a decision now?

Of course with spring just around the corner it is a better time to sell in the coming months than it would be in autumn with winter looming so that is a factor but you have a number of months ahead of you before this becomes an issue.

Good morning JC - i had always thought that if i had to get rid of one of them then it would be alf but now im not so sure:redface:

Your are right about the time I have as daughter not starting college until September but once I reach a decision I think I should get on with it. We are having some serious problems with M25 becoming part of our yard:banghead: and if I only had one I could move it to a part livery yard which would help.

Thanks for your advice:smile:

Yes, I saw that thread and meant to pop a resposne on there. I really do feel for you atm. Given the recent upheaval it's probably forced your hand somewhat and you're probably feeling rather more emotional with all that going on too.

I really don't envy your situation atm. What does your daughter think?

Have you tried getting loaners/sharers for one or both of them?

Might help you with the financial side of it and someone to help you with the odd jobs.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of loaners and sharers in situations where you are reliant on them either because of time, finance or health reasons. They are hard enough to find in the first place and can be gone in the next moment. Contracts really do mean very little.

If I was in a position to have another I would love a fjord... If I am in a position too it is because she doesn't make it through all this current mess... So I can't wish I was able to help you... But what is meant to be will be :)

If I was in a position to have another I would love a fjord... If I am in a position too it is because she doesn't make it through all this current mess... So I can't wish I was able to help you... But what is meant to be will be :)

awww bless you pfb..... i hope she is better, i noticed on the other thread your vet suggested riding her, did you manage to and how was she..... XX

Yes, I saw that thread and meant to pop a resposne on there. I really do feel for you atm. Given the recent upheaval it's probably forced your hand somewhat and you're probably feeling rather more emotional with all that going on too.

I really don't envy your situation atm. What does your daughter think?

I am so emotional, got to do a training course this evening with piggy bloodshot eyes:giggle:

She is mortified at the possibilty of not having Alfie but I have to be realistic about everything:redface: She doesnt know that I am actively looking for solution at the moment as this will worry her more. I think once I have a plan it will be better to let her know.

Your previous comments about finding Alf a new home and keeping Cass and seeing how we get on makes good sense to me so that is where i am going with my thinking:cry:

You are right, I do feel my hand has been forces somewhat but you just have to deal with whatever is thrown your way and the M25 has been thrown mine:banghead:

With regard to finding a loaner for one or both is a bit out of the question particularily at the moment as we have no facilites at the yard. In an ideal world Alf would go as LWVTB but not sure who would want that with a nearly 3 year old. But it would make me feel better.

I don't really have any advice either. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you have found yourself in this situation and whatever decision you make is going to be difficult. Have you tried driving round your local area and knocking on doors of anyone who has a nice field? You never know what you might find?

I don't really have any advice either. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you have found yourself in this situation and whatever decision you make is going to be difficult. Have you tried driving round your local area and knocking on doors of anyone who has a nice field? You never know what you might find?

Thank you, Im one of them people that is always looking for a field and there is nothing in our area at all. Loads of horses round our way but not many fields. Ive just found out the changes to the yard/costs wont happen until September which takes some of the pressure off for a bit but I am going to continue to find that perfect home for my little darling as it is better to do it when there is time than when desperate:cry:

Thank you, Im one of them people that is always looking for a field and there is nothing in our area at all. Loads of horses round our way but not many fields. Ive just found out the changes to the yard/costs wont happen until September which takes some of the pressure off for a bit but I am going to continue to find that perfect home for my little darling as it is better to do it when there is time than when desperate:cry:

The farmer who I currently rent my fields off has loads of fields over the back of his house rented to local horse people and we didn't even know he rented to horses:giggle: they are so well hidden and he doesn't even advertise. try giving places a knock you might be surprised and find somewhere local.

The farmer who I currently rent my fields off has loads of fields over the back of his house rented to local horse people and we didn't even know he rented to horses:giggle: they are so well hidden and he doesn't even advertise. try giving places a knock you might be surprised and find somewhere local.

Thanks I will go out looking on Saturday. :biggrin:

We are moving and I am doing the same. Satellite on google maps is fab ;)

And I think you would be surprised... I wouldn't be in a financial position to buy if anything happens to madam, so alf Lwvtb would be perfect and just what I was after!

I second this. When I was looking for a new yard recently, I found an amazing place about 10 mins from my house, with a school and lovely stables etc. It is on a working farm but I would never have known had someone not pointed me in that direction - get talking to anybody and everybody horsey in your area and I hope the same may happen to you.

I really hope you get something sorted.

Ditto the talking to anyone and everyone - I work in a big office and the jungle drums found me a livery place. You never know who is horsey sometimes, or who knows a friend of a friend who could help.

Could you take a step away from the situation with your yard and money and your daughter and consider what would you do if you didn't have any of these constraints on you? I know that might seem a little pointless as these barriers are in the way but if you can work out what you really want and then look at ways of compromising to fit that ideal then maybe you can still be happy. Just a suggestion. Unfortunately real life doesn't always play the game I know. I really hope you can work things out CB, I'm not sure which of your two that you should get rid of, I can't get a sense of how you feel about them from your post - you are very factual. Maybe you should write out what you feel about the two and post it on here, its amazing what total strangers can pick up on from what you write - it might reveal which one you feel closer to -or you might know that already so in that sense I'll shut up now!!
good luck.
x

Ditto what others have said about contacting farmers etc, otherwise if you need someone to loan to i could take one of your ponies to help out.

newrider.com