Cant ride today- tips for lunging a brat!

OMG... im stunned, totally shocking, NN you should be ashamed of yourself... slap??? u pussy!

oh lord i started one here!:eek: Well as it happens I lunged in the normal way with no high hopes. The plan was just 5 mins each way and all i wanted from him was to walk calmly in a roughly nice circle on each rein- that was my aim!
And he did it just fine actually I even got a nice trot on one rein, he's not great at the best of times on the left so that was acceptable.
He did stop and just look at me a few times and was difficult to get moving again but in general i think it went very well, he is a quick learner and i'm sure now we've done it once he will pick it up fast.
Thank you very much to everyone who posted- another way it helped was that i felt when i got to the yard i had to go through with doing it-much harder to think Oh another day when you've told people!!
I have posted on the mentoring thread for anyone who could re-introduce me to long reining if not will get a few lessons as am sure he will benefit lots from doing some.
Thanks again xx

NN and i were having a jest with each other dont worry.

if you get no luck on the mentoring thread theres some good books and dvds out there on longreining.

well done for today.

Harlequin.....

I long lined my cob and I am a complete novice. He loved it. Good as gold the first time and every time. Dont think he has ever been long lined before. It was like he taught me.

I would advise to try it with someone at the front holding your horse. Just have a walk round. See how he reacts to the lines first. :)

newrider.com