cheltenham

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I know there are people who don't like racing, and that is their view and they are entitled to hold it.

There are also people who enjoy jump racing either as participants or viewers. And they are also entitled to enjoy their sport.

There is no need to abuse them when a horse is killed. The organisers at Cheltenham have done a lot since last year and
can't see what more they can do in terms of safety. Horse inspections by vets before racing, fences moved, etc Sadly broken bones can't generally be fixed and that's it, however the accident happens or where. I have lost 2 horses to field fractures.

The people involved with the horses love them and care for them and will cry for them. Yes there are bad things in racing like any equine sport, but there is also a lot of good people who love their horses. There are also recent examples of horses being retired at the peak of their form - Coneygree, Cue Card - where they have been showing good form at home but at the races they clearly just weren't as good as before - they were retired on the spot. There are others like Special Tiara who have run for years, been brilliant horses and got killed recently in a fall in a race in Ireland. Very very sad but the horse just made a mistake and fell, it didn't drop down dead, it wasn't unwell. It was just very unlucky. And many of the best horses got killed after they retired like Kauto Star. So stopping them racing didn't keep them safe.

It's fine for people to disapprove of jump racing, but a lot of the time they also disapprove of horses being ridden at all. So what happens to all the ridden horses, do we ban riding as well?

A lot of the jump horses go into retirement or have other careers. JPs horses go home to Ireland, Robert Ogden's are found homes, a lot of the owners take responsibility for their horses beyond their racing career. And not just the top horses.

It's horrible whenever a horse has a fatal accident but it's not very kind to suggest that its connections don't care. The horse killed yesterday was in the amateur race so more than likely was even more of a pet and ridden daily by its jockey. So even sadder for the connections. Especially if it came from one of the smaller stables. I bet Nicky Henderson aged 10 years when Buveur d'air fell....

I wish that horses didn't die in accidents but this is always going to happen no matter what you do.

What a lovely well written thread. As most of you know I have an ex racer he came from yard had the best treatment and when injured because of the yard they treated it. Most horses would have been pts because of the cost of the treatment he had.

I love to watch the racing both flat and jump. I know these horses are loved and cared for as my boy was.

We lost a horse in a field accident not long ago and one to colic this week plus another now retired at 11. Horse are alive they live and breath and do stupid things.

I thank the racing industry because without it I round not have my gorgeous albi.

What a lovely well written thread. As most of you know I have an ex racer he came from yard had the best treatment and when injured because of the yard they treated it. Most horses would have been pts because of the cost of the treatment he had.

I love to watch the racing both flat and jump. I know these horses are loved and cared for as my boy was.

We lost a horse in a field accident not long ago and one to colic this week plus another now retired at 11. Horse are alive they live and breath and do stupid things.

I thank the racing industry because without it I round not have my gorgeous albi.

If you watched Nicky Henderson's face yesterday when Altior raced there was a man in hell, utterly praying his horse would be safe and sound and continue to be as brilliant as he has been. It was a privilege to watch him and I hope they have the nerve to go for the King George in December. My favourite of all time is Sprinter Sacre, the courage of the staff to send that horse back to Cheltenham after having a heart fibrillation, knowing they would be crucified if he was injured. I cheered him all the way up the hill as he flew home. The only one I would really question was Many Clouds who died at Cheltenham, they knew the horse had recovery issues and they asked him one time too many and I am sure they have questioned that decision many times since. He was preventable. Big mistake.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I think racing is just much more in the spot light, I would be interested if there were numbers between different equestrian sports as to the number of injuries, fatal/severe/minor, I bet they would be closer than some people think. I do think racing has improved practices a lot over the last decade, many more of the owners ensure their horses further careers after racing now :)

I think racing is just much more in the spot light, I would be interested if there were numbers between different equestrian sports as to the number of injuries, fatal/severe/minor, I bet they would be closer than some people think. I do think racing has improved practices a lot over the last decade, many more of the owners ensure their horses further careers after racing now :)

I expect eventing wouldn't come out of it much better, and some of the endurance stuff would be pretty horrific. But more horses pro rata probably killed on the roads. the best thing they could do for horses is to ban 2 year old racing, that would have a huge impact on soundness and longevity. A lot of trainers even those with expensive flat horses now turn out and things have got much more progressive. mind you the racehorses down the road from me stand in 23 hours out of 24.

Reactions: Jessey
I don't know much about racing at all, but I do know lots of dressage horses who are put to sleep as soon as they can't do the job they are required to do. I think racing gets a bad press because the injuries often happen in the public eye where people pay to come and watch, and it looks dramatic when a horse falls down. If we start to judge racing, we need to judge everything we do with horses.

On another forum people were objecting to the horses sweating and being out of breath......better tell Buddy not to gallop up the hill in the field

I wonder what racing horse welfare is like in other nations. Just musing, because someone mentioned Endurance and welfare standards are unbelievably shocking in UAE, despite the sport being governed by the FEI (International Equestrian Federation).

I wonder what racing horse welfare is like in other nations. Just musing, because someone mentioned Endurance and welfare standards are unbelievably shocking in UAE, despite the sport being governed by the FEI (International Equestrian Federation).

USA they are allowed to run on pain relief which they are not in UK. UAE endurance yes, seen that, pretty awful

newrider.com