Chicken and egg (and horse) problem

Sooty

Oct 1, 2002
Wiltshire, UK
Visit site
Hello :)

So once you've decided to buy a horse, what do you do first? Do you look for a livery/land to keep the horse on, or do you find your horse first and then look for somewhere for him/her to live?

What happens if I buy a horse and then can't find somewhere? What if I find somewhere and then start looking for a horse to buy, take ages and in the meantime they give the livery space to someone else? :(

What comes first ?????????:confused:

What a good person you are! Doing all the right thinking and at the appropriate time! Before you buy the horse!

Rather safe than sorry is always my motto where horses are concerned. Quality care is so important and finding the right place isn't easy. Many places around here have month long waiting lists. In my opinion, you shouldnt get a horse unless you have a place to keep it, have the money to keep it, and have the smarts to keep it.

Im a special case because I work at a VERY nice, respectable, upscale horse facility. I had no problems picking where my lil'boy was going to go. I have constant access to him (despite barn hours) since I work there... I have the dream life where thats concerened - just to rub it in ;)

Sometimes people find THE horse and buy it on the spot. In that case, I'd recommend any place you can find thats "reasonable" in their practices and keep the horse there temporarily until you find the right place.

Either way, it sounds like you're already being a responsible horseperson! Keep it up!

as a first time horse owner, i would recommend you find the place first and that you go for a livery yard where there's a friendly and knowledgeable manager and staff who can help you with your new horse - there is so much to learn, and it is hard at first. then ask them to help you find a horse - a second, experiencd and unbiased pair of eyes is absolutely invaluable in horse shopping, for those ties when you fall head over heels in love with something compoletely unsuitable! (happens to everyone!).
then they will be a part of your horse shopping experience and are less likely to give away a place.

I agree with ES, find the yard first and then the horse. If you find a space on a nice yard, remember you may have to join a waiting list for a good one as people dont leave them very often, the owner may be agreeable to you paying a holding fee instead of the livery until you find a horse. Thats what I did, I found a space in May but it took till July to get the right horse so I paid £25 a month to "hold " the stable and then in July paid pro rata livery from when he arrived...hope this helps Also remember to ask lots of questions of the yards, make a list of whats important to you ie do the horses have all year turnout, would they get in for you if you are stuck at work and have your horse on DIY and if so how much does it cost, is wormer on programme, same for farrier, vet etc....there are many things I would ask now a year down the line but I guess thats the same with every first timer!!!

Where do you ride at the moment? I bought mine from the yard where I rode and kept her there on livery (it was also a livery yard). She already had a roof over her head, so to speak. It also meant I had the chance to ride her a lot before deciding that she was the one.

Good luck with your search.

SallyM

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely find a good livery yard first.

Unfortunately, SallyM, I can't ask where I have my lessons as they don't do livery (not enough space) which really is a shame as they're very good and all the lesson horses seem really happy.

It will be quite some time yet, but I'll let you know when I find my perfect horse :D

newrider.com