Chronicle of a love at first sight!

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I know I promised, almost a year ago now when I put an end to the chronicles, that I would keep you posted on my progress. The truth is - I didn't :eek:! But something has happened recently that needs to be told. So I have to quickly (as much as it is possible with me :) ) tell you what I've been doing the past six months.

We'll start this chronicle late evening, one clear December Sunday. That was when Pimpao arrived. Alert, suspicious but still friendly and calm, he was a 6 year old Lusitano, and the school's latest arrival.
Soon my instructor (and school owner) realized that he must have had a nasty recent past because he would not stand still to be mounted, shying away, and would not allow any form of whip anywhere near him. Although he was no problem to tack up, he would shy from your hand if you tried to give him treats. When (if) the rider got on his back, Pimpao would be suspicious of him and bicker at every command - besides knowing virtually nothing! With two months of gentleness first and firm insistence later on - and quite a few despairing moments! - my instructor managed to get him somewhat "in shape".

At this point the story takes another twist. It was a Wednesday, the 30th of January, and the day before my driving exam. I was quite nervous about it, so I decided to go ride the evening before (which was not the lesson I usually took) to see if I would calm down. Pimpao was being lunged in preparation for my instructor to ride him in our lesson, to get him used to it. When time came for horses to be appointed, Francisco started looking at me with this sadistic smile (yikes!), pointed to Pimpao and said "OK, you're riding him!". You must understand that the horse's reputation was not the best by this time... I speak the truth when I say that the first thing I though was "That's fine. At least I have a fifty-fifty chance of breaking something and not having the exam tomorrow..." (I did pass the exam - in case you are wondering :) ).

But there was worse to come! When working new horses my instructor sometimes uses drawn reins (together with the bradoon reins, mind you!) to work as a kind of rider controlled Martingale. Mostly as a safety measure, and to keep the horse from throwing his head up or even rearing. So he told me to go get these reins. Riding a prickly horse for the first time with not one but two sets of reins! (not fifty-fifty chance anymore :) )
Anyway, he made sure I felt confident and minimally relaxed about it and there I went. As if riding a prickly horse for the first time, with two sets of reins, was not bad enough - I'd left my helmet at home :( ! This being Portugal, and me being more and more Portuguese by the day, I went with just a beret (I'm sure it would at least make it easier to clean the mess :-( ). Death wishes aside, the lesson was quite funny. Francisco kept joking saying things like "We will have a calmer lesson because Pedro there has a problem to manage" and "We have here a couple of more advanced students, two which are a little greener, and Pedro who is on the high wire". There were no problems and I rode with silken hands and woollen feet (survival of the gentlest :) ).

The experience was so good that since then I basically rode nothing else! Four times a week for nearly four months! He went from running in canter, totally out of balance, to beginning to have a nice calmer canter. Not wanting to leave the company of the others (I still remember those canter circles away from the line!) to going where the rider wants, no questions asked. From having to be held for mounting to waiting patiently for the rider. From not going near a whip to accepting the (judicious) use of a dressage whip. Meanwhile I spent some dozen ten minute sessions to get him to eat out of my hand. He was incredible weary and although he wanted the treats he refused to get them out of my hand. I made it my goal in life ;-) to win his thrust and in the end I did. It was about this time that he realised that people were not intended on hurting him and another curious trait came up... he started to prop his head on people's shoulders! If you stood near his head (only on his left side... weird, isn't it?) he would put it on your shoulder and really start to put weight on it! It developed to the point that now, sometimes, you have to reprimand him because he is trying to do it as you want to bridle him :). He even tries to do it when you are tightening the girth, at the end of a lesson (when he is not sulking :)!), when changing sides of the lunge line or when you're cleaning his hands (not very helpful!).

Riding the same horse three times in a row is uncommon in my school, riding the same horse every single time is unheard of. Because of that and being one of only three or four students riding the horse (for a couple of months the only one), everyone started joking with me. "So you're riding Pimpao again :)? It's been a long time hasn't it?", "Who are you riding today? Wait, don't say, let me guess... Pimpao? :-D"

So, what is the point of all this story?
Two weeks ago one of the private horses got taken to another place... I brooded around for sometime before sounding my instructor about the prospect of buying Pimpao off him and keeping him at full livery at the school. Francisco was surprisingly unsurprised with my question and promptly accepted. So there! That is the point of all this "verbosity": I bought my very first horse!!

I later found out that everyday for the past two weeks someone would ask my instructor if I had "popped the question" already :). Although I had kept quiet about it, no one was caught off-guard... :-D

I have some photos of my boy to show at http://fortunato.freewebspace.com/pimpao.html . They are not very recent, but it's all I have... for the time being, that is ;-).

So, several years before my most optimistic predictions, I fulfilled the dream of owning my own horse - and a pure Lusitano at that. Even if he is hardly the best exemplar of the breed... he is mine! :p

Now I need to buy my own saddle, bridle, halter, rope, brushes, hoof pick, combs, etc, etc, etc... :eek:

Just rode him today, first time I rode "my own" horse, and I feel like I could burst!

Pedro Fortunato

P.S.: Besides the story around Pimpao, in the past six months I happened to have ridden a Lusitano stallion with high pedigree, and also ride him with a Portuguese classical saddle (that is not a piece of furniture - that's a whole living room!). Not only that, but ride him - with the saddle - at the grounds of a horse show. And finally... falling off while riding him, with that saddle, at the horse show :D!

Attachments

• pimpao.jpg
    pimpao.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 550
Bravo, Pedro!

Felicitaciones, Pedroito! Tu caballo es muy bello! No! muy guapo! (Portuguese must be a little similar to Spanish?)

What a great story. It has all the element of a fairie-tale!

Do keep us up-to-date on all your adventures.

Mikka

Yeah hey! Great job on that, thanks for the update Pedro! Congratulations on your driving exam as well! :D :)

Wow

We are all getting horses. That's so neat. What about your riding? You guys look great together!!!!
He looks very sweet in the close up and quite magnificent in the full shots.

Congratulations! :)

Thank you Pedro for bringing us up to date. It's a lovely story, lucky horse to have found you.

I can remember when you first started your chronicles. Your progress shows just what a great riding method you have been taught, compred to the often heavy handed British approach.

Best wishes.

Ohh Pedro! He's gorgeous! What a dream come true for you! I was actually thinking about it about a week ago, "Where has Pedro gone?" LOL! Well,now I know! How high is he?

Who, Pedro? Given that it's his first horse, I'm guessing pretty high! :D Not sure 'bout the horse....

Sorry. :D

Whey-Hey!

Congrats Pedro! :D What are beautiful horse! I love his colour (and what a cute face)!

Maci :)

Well Pedro

Who would have thought, just a year ago when you started writing your Chronicles, that this is how they'd end up!

Pimpao is absolutely gorgeous! I hope you continue to build on your relationship together and have a wonderful time embarking on the never-ending voyage of horse ownership and understanding.

Keep us posted how you get on and keep the photos coming to show us your progress.

Lots of good wishes
Judy

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone!

I’m now officially overwhelmed by all the stuff I have to get :)… At least I can borrow for the time being. I’m just dying for my own dressage saddle, though!! I just can’t stand old, badly designed, uncomfortable GP saddles anymore… :(

We’re both learning a lot (Pimpao and me) I am not used to grooming horses and consistently picking feet, worrying about the softness of mane and tail, hoof grease, shampoo and fly repellent... mane softener and the rest of the works. Not to mention leather care for the saddle and bridle! Plus washing and drying, besides little practice lungeing. Pimpao too, is not much used to all this pampering ;), but I’m sure it will be routine in little time – for the two of us!

Mikka, where did you learn Spanish? And yes, I can understand it reasonably well.
Talvez seja mais dificil o contrário, para alguém que fale Espanhol perceber Português? :)

Pedro Fortunato

BTW, Pimpao is probably a little under 15hh, rather smallish for my taste :), but who cares?

Hi Pedro,thats great news,well done.
Your horse looks ace and a lovely colour too.
So are you after a saddle that ' creeeks!'or are you after a quiet one:) .I often read your Chronicles and its great humour too.
The one about creeky saddle still has me in stiches.
I bet you have had sleepless nights while you thought about getting your 1st horse,I will say no more;)
Best wishes and nice to see you back,
Fred.

Hi Pedro - my husband is Latin and he speaks only Spanish to
our children so I've picked up a little over the years. It's an interesting question you pose, whether it's easier to go from Portuguese to Spanish than vice versa. I can tell you that Portuguese is more difficult for the English ear. Sometimes it even
sounds a bit like Russian to me!

Looking forward to more pic's of your new steed!

Mikka

Pedro he is beautiful. I can sympathise with over the head. Rhi does exactly the same but not to the extent that she does it when you are bridling or doing the girth. She also like to follow me wherever I go.

Pedro~
Congratulations on Pimpao! So happy for you and even more so for your horse; it sounds like he has found a great home where he can learn and be happy after a less-than-perfect past. he is beautiful and looks very sweet.
Enjoyed your pictures from the Golega festival as well...some of them are quite good! ...you might just have a fine future with horses and cameras!
keep us updated, as often as you can~

Pedro,

What fantastic news! I am so pleased to hear that you have got yourself a lovely horse.

Pimpao looks gorgeous.

Please please please will you now do us some chronicles of a new horse owner?

All the best for the two of you.

bye!

He has a lovely big neck on him, makes him look much bigger than he is. Thats the same as Lenny, his neck is so big that he looks much bigger than he is.
BTW, the hat? is that compulsory? hehe
Oh yeah, is the riding place right smack in the middle of the city?

I don't know if you've seen the second set of photos at http://fortunato.freewebspace.com/pimpao2.html Emma. As you can see we have some wooded areas nearby, but the school is located in the outskirts of a major residential area... unfortunatly we don't have that much space around us. :(

Pimpao now has a nice leather dressage saddle, and I've recently started working him with a double briddle. I'd love to get some photos or video of us, but it is logistically dificult. It's night already when I ride him during the week and at the weekends I ride him at lunch time (only time I can get the covered arena for myself) and no one is available for a photo session at that time...

He is getting mushier and mushier with time :) he's now even more of a puppy than he ever was. He loves me to scratch him and is always massaging me in return. Under saddle he's a little more temperamental though :rolleyes: :)

You can't spend the afternoon at the yard during summer here, without some kind of headgear :). I must admit that my love affair with my helmet has mellowed and I seldom use it now :eek: ... I know that I probably should, but...

Pedro fortunato

newrider.com