Chunky Monkey gang

Was going to post last night then got interupted. Vet rang at 3pm yesterday. They were still trying to get a wee sample.
Went to collect Scratchy at 6.00 last night, vet came out saying they were still trying to get one. So they had just put up anti inflams for her. They went out the back to box her up for me to take home then came back saying she put up a fight trying to go in the box and had just wee'd on the surgery floor. They did there best to suck up a sample quickly. Not ideal as you dont know how much bacteria was on the floor but they were just going to analyse it. They came back out and said there was some bacteria so it is likely she has an infection so they prescribed some antibiotics too.
I thought she'd be very stressed so feed her as soon as i got home so i could get the meds in. Opened the window thinking she'd take umbrage and go off all night. Nope. Complete opposite. Got on my lap and snuggled up for a bit, then on mums. Slept on my bed for most of the night. Dont think she went out till this morning and that was only briefly.
Has been frequenting the litter tray but very little wee and still passing blood.
Oh heck so sorry to read the blood is still there. Hmm. I hope the vets can come up with something from the urine analysis. Glad that you weren't out of favour though - and a night in happened!

Hopefully in 24 hours the antibiotics will kick in and she’ll start feeling better 🤞 obviously feeling very sorry for herself if not going out in a huff after a vet visit!

Other than saying the urine had bacteria i dont think there was anything else. To be honest the amount passed was very little so they still didnt have much to go on.
Bloods were basically normal. Just slight elevation of white blood cells which one would expect with cystitis.
Doesnt really account for why overall shes been drinking more.
Just have to wait for meds to hopefully work and observe behaviour.
In the meantime ive got to work out how to make a cat and dog besties.
Dog training tonight so i will ask the trainer for advice.

Booked more sheep lessons this morning.

Reactions: Jessey
No change as yet in Scratchy. Wanting plenty of fuss so hopefully that will help him relax. Spent all day yesterday in the house and most of the night on my bed. Hes been out hunting this morning as i was presented with a mouse. Hes gone back out now. Still frequent the litter tray passing blood and only a bit of wee.

Roger the ram came in lame last night. His knee cap looked swollen. Even more crippled and swollen this morning. Caught him and tied him up so i could have a feel. Trimmed his foot to rule out any abcess in the foot.
Either his had a punch up with one of the others rams or its a bite or sting. Swelling was quite fluid though rather than hard.

No change as yet in Scratchy. Wanting plenty of fuss so hopefully that will help him relax. Spent all day yesterday in the house and most of the night on my bed. Hes been out hunting this morning as i was presented with a mouse. Hes gone back out now. Still frequent the litter tray passing blood and only a bit of wee.

Roger the ram came in lame last night. His knee cap looked swollen. Even more crippled and swollen this morning. Caught him and tied him up so i could have a feel. Trimmed his foot to rule out any abcess in the foot.
Either his had a punch up with one of the others rams or its a bite or sting. Swelling was quite fluid though rather than hard.
Oh Roger the ram (great name btw) lots of vibes for him coming! More healing for Scratchy too.

Just a little update. Scratchy finished meds on Tuesday. By Wednesday she was back to frequenting the litter tray still with blood. Came for an evening walk with me and Quin. Constantly trying to go. But if she was that stressed by the dog why come for walks with us.
I did a little googling and they say cats with cystitis should not be given dry food. She gets dry and wet. Whilst the vet did say add some water to the food. I dont think he asked me what i was feeding. I may have said i cant remember though. But he never said dont feed dry biscuits, just to add water to the food. Ive had to give some but ive upd the wet food allowance. I think shes lost some weight. Although at the vets last week they said similar to last years weight.

There been less toilet visits so im hoping its starting to settle. But as a result the litter tray hasnt been used so i cant tell whats being passed or how much.
Scratchy has also had more fuss and cuddles which is now making her more clingy. Which is upsetting Quin so hes started fixating on her more. Vicous circle.

Roger is less lame but still has swollen knee. Gone down a bit. Jonah couldnt walk across the field last night. Lame on both front and back leg. So clearly 3 boys have been having punch ups. Hes getting arthritic anyway as hes an old man now. So was slightly lame on the front. But his hind end has taken one heck of a punch. He has zero teeth left. I dont think he will be seeing any ladies this autumn. Im going to have to make that decision to let him go. Mind if they keep having fights that date will be sooner rather than later.

Hopefully scratchy feels better soon now you’ve adjusted the food.

And vibes for the rams, 🤞 they settle from tussling and he can enjoy summer at least.

Finally have an answer as to why Jonah has been so lame on his hind end. Flippin abcess in the foot. Trimmed, soaked and sprayed.

Quin has been a bit off colour this week. I think he is suffering heat stroke. He was supposed to have a sheep lesson but the trainer messaged to say she had to stop lessons the day before as sheep werent coping so i said it was better to cancel for this week with Quin off as well. Shame as i was really looking forward to seeing him working out in the field rather than the round pen.

Another lesson for Quin today. We made it out the round pen, and into the field. He did rush in at one point which got a reprimand. No harm to the sheep though. The mouth didnt make contact.
Ive manage to sell my shearlings this week so 6 less and now have some sheep of varying ages in a paddock that Quin could potentially start working round. Just need to sort out my long line and a round pen.

Back in the saddle this week, not the right one though. Now its a bit cooler i took Quin out for his walk with me on the bike the last 2 nights. We havent been out on the bike for a couple of weeks, since he was off colour.
Hes learnt to ignore me now. No more barking, biting my ankles as i pedal or biting the bike tyre. He still has a few looks at other people on bikes but hasnt gone for anyone yet. He loves running with me bombing along but he has a habit of suddenly crossing in front of me so i have to be conscious at all times as to where he is.
I did actually get back briefly in the horse saddle too at the weekend. It was only a sit on before C got on Chunky for a little sit on. Oh i do miss my hacks.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Quin has lost a life this morning. We were moving the cows into the other field. Spike decided to not go through the gate. So i gave Quin the comebye command. He decided not to listen and ran straight in at his back legs for a nip. For his stupidity he got kicked in the face and now has a tooth missing. Its in the front. Theres a hole there and plenty of blood. No idea if it has broken. It looks like it has come out based on the hole but i will have a closer look later.

Im so upset. He keeps rushing in with me, sheep, cows and horses, yet hes only done it at a couple of training sessions.
He went in at Billys hind last week, now Billy has got it in for him. Everytime hes anywhere near Billy turns and runs straight at him.

They never learn.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Quin has lost a life this morning. We were moving the cows into the other field. Spike decided to not go through the gate. So i gave Quin the comebye command. He decided not to listen and ran straight in at his back legs for a nip. For his stupidity he got kicked in the face and now has a tooth missing. Its in the front. Theres a hole there and plenty of blood. No idea if it has broken. It looks like it has come out based on the hole but i will have a closer look later.

Im so upset. He keeps rushing in with me, sheep, cows and horses, yet hes only done it at a couple of training sessions.
He went in at Billys hind last week, now Billy has got it in for him. Everytime hes anywhere near Billy turns and runs straight at him.

They never learn.
Sounds like a handful and a steep learning process for him. Lots of vibes no harm done (apart from the lost tooth!). Hope it came out all in one go.

Oh heck, that’s not ideal, but I’m sure you can coach him out of it especially as you have a pro trainer on your side. Hopefully the tooth has fallen out and not broken 🤞

We avoided the showers and Chunky actually got a good ride all the way to the end of my road. We started with just a stride. Then two, then to the barn. Then out the front gate. Before we knew it we were at the end of the road. He was a bit stiff to start with but slowly loosened up and started striding out. Coming back even i had a job to keep up with him on foot. So he actually got ridden just over a mile, just in a numnah with a strap round. I shall give him another bute tonight. No tears today from his rider so all very positive.

Havent updated for a few weeks, work has gone manic but i got very down after unexpectedly losing a sheep a few weeks ago. Plus Quin getting kicked in the face by the cow. Now one tooth less. Accidents happen. Hasnt taught him though. He was still over keen, so ive kept him off the cows and i couldnt work him round my sheep for fear he would rush in and bite. It made me get frustrated on how we could progress training.
Quins been going to his sheepdog training sessions when we can, although a couple have been cancelled when its been too hot.
I also wasnt confident to try him in the field on mine. When i did one time it didnt seem to flow and he charged in then scattered the sheep. I was having to encourage him loads and felt like i was just nagging and yelling at him to lay down. He works much smoother at the trainers bacause her sheep are well dogged which helps build his confidence. Last week at the trainers, they worked him, then got me working there sheep for the first time out in the big open field. Gave me the confidence to come home and try him again on mine. So ive now been doing a bit each day. I videod it to show the trainer today and the comment was your sheep are very laid back. So it makes it very hard for quin to move them. So i asked lots of questions for advice in order to try to understand what i need to do or where i need to be to help him out in various situations.
Now i need to practice. I feel that we have made good progress being able to do a bit each day though this week. So my spirits have been lifted. As long as he listens and does as hes told not rush in like he did with the cow we will be fine.

Reactions: Jessey
Thank you for the update. So amazing for you to be training up a new dog. And telling us how you are doing it.

newrider.com