Cleaning fields after a little unexpected rain?

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
So we had a little unexpected rain, which has left lots of 'silt' on the field (amongst other things!)... I have fenced the horses away from it for the time being as I don't know what to do with it.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Do I need it testing? Do I need to try and get it off the field? Or just wait and hope it washes away? I do t know what to do with it, just worried it would make them sick!

If its river silt it will be fine, probably a good thing as it will bring fresh nutrients which will wash into your soil :) if there is any risk of it being contaminated, like from a chemical plant up stream I would be wary but if not just think of it as free fertiliser of the best kind, all natural :)

It depends on where the water has come from I suppose. We lived in a village which was flooded in the last 'great floods' of 2000. We were advised by the environment agency to wear rubber gloves and dispose of anything that had been in contact with the water - the water came from the river but obviously the sewers were also flooded and so sewerage water was mixed with the river water. The environment agency were very helpful - perhaps check with them to put your mind at rest?

I'd definitely ask the environment agency. From memory your fields are pretty high up so you might have escaped sewage contamination, in which case you just got the world's best free fertiliser and I would keep the ponies off it and plant potatoes!

newrider.com