Cleaning your horses Sheath.

Demson

Mar 29, 2004
Northampton UK
www.northantsnaturally.co.uk
I have been meaning to clean Kyle's sheath for ages.. something I have been putting off but new I would have to do it eventually..

Well that day came today..

Usually all I need to do is groom the lad and his dilly dong practically falls out. However after a good 20min groom it was still tucked up in bed. So I rolled up my jacket sleeves...threw on the rubber gloves and put the kettle on to boil for some hot water (don't worry I did add some cold to it) Slapped a big slug of Sheath cleaner into my hand and ..... started on my mission.
It wasn't to bad but bad enough.

His face was a picture, while he stood politely letting me get on with it he's stuck his nose out a bit and laid his ears back slightly. I reckon he was keeping an eye on me wondering just what on earth I was doing..

I couldn't find the bean so hopefully his dilly dong is all nice and clean now....

How do you all manage to clean your horses dilly dong...

Edited noce to nose...

Last edited:
i found this for ya all.

The Story from Ms Hand herself

Step 1) Check to make sure there are no prospective boyfriends, elderly neighbours, or Brownie troops with a line of sight to the proceedings. Though of course they're probably going to show up unexpectedly ANYWAY once you're in the middle of things. Prepare a good explanation.

2) Trim your fingernails short. Assemble horse, hose, and your sense of humor (plus, ideally, Excalibur cleanser and perhaps thin rubber gloves).

3) Use hose (or damp sponge) to get the sheath and its inhabitant wet. Uh, that is, do this in a *civilized* fashion with due warning to the horse; he is apt to take offense if an icy-cold hose blasts unexpectedly into his personal regions

4) Now introduce your horse to Ms Hand . What I find safest is to stand facing the horse's head, with my shoulder and hip snugly against the horse's thigh and hip so that if he makes any suspicious move such as raising his leg, I can feel it right away and am in any case pressed so close that all he can do is shove, not really kick.

The horse should be held by an assistant or by your free hand, NOT tied fast to a post or to crossties. He may shift around a good bit if he's not happy with Ms Hand's antics, but don't be put off by that; as long as you are patient and gradual, and stick close to his side, he'll get over it.

Remember that it would be most unladylike of you to simply make a direct grab for your horse's Part. Give the horse a clue about what's on the program. Rest your hand against his belly, and then slide it back till you are entering The Home of the Actual Private Part. When you reach this first region of your destination, lube him up good with Excalibur or whatever you're using.

If the outer part of his sheath is really grungy you will feel little clods and nubblies of smegma peeling off as you grope around in there. Patiently and gently expedite their removal.

5) Thus far, you have probably only been in the outer part of the sheath. The Part Itself, you'll have noticed, is strangely absent. That's because it has retired shyly to its inner chambers. Roll up them thar sleeves and follow in after it

6) As you and Ms Hand wend your way deeper into the sheath, you will encounter what feels like a small portal that opens up into a chamber beyond. Being attentive to your horse's reaction, invite yourself in . You are now in the inner sanctum of The Actual Private Part. It's hiding in there towards the back, trying to pretend it isn't there. Say hi and wave to it .

No, really, work your finger back and forth around the sides of it. If the horse won't drop, this is your only shot at removing whatever dried smegma is clinging to the surface of the Part itself. So, gently explore around it, pulling out whatever crusty topsoil you find there. Use more water and more Excalibur if necessary to loosen attached gunk.

7) When Ms Hand and the Actual Private Part have gotten to know each other pretty well, and the Part feels squeaky clean all around, there remains only one task: checking for, and removing, the bean. The bean is a pale, kidney-shaped accumulation of smegma in a small pouch just inside the urethra. Not all horses accumulate a bean, but IME the majority do, even if they have no visible external smegma.

So: the equine urethra is fairly large diameter, and indeed will permit you to very gently insinuate one of your slimmer fingers inside the urethral opening. Do so, and explore upwards for what will feel like a lump or "pea" buried no more than, I dunno, perhaps 3/4" in from the opening. If you do encounter a bean, gently and sympathetically persuade it out with your finger.

This may require a little patience from BOTH Ms Hand AND the horse, but the horse will be happier and healthier once it's accomplished. In the rare event that the bean is too enormous for your finger to coax out, you might try what I did (in desperation) last month on the orange horse: Wrap thumb and index finger around the end of the Part and squeeze firmly to extrude the bean. Much to my surprise it worked and orange horse did NOT kill me for doing it and he does not seem to have suffered any permanent damage as a result ;-> I have never in my life seen another bean that enormous, though.

Now all that's left to do is make a graceful exit and rinse the area very thoroughly in apology for the liberties you've taken . A hose will be MUCH easier to use here than just a sponge and bucket, IME. Make sure to direct the water into the Part's inner retreat too, not merely the outer part of the sheath. This may require you to enfold the end of the hose in your hand and guide it up there personally.

9) Ta-**, you are done! Say, "Good horse" and feed him lots of carrots. Watch him make funny faces at the way your hands smell. Hmm. Well, perhaps there is ONE more step...

10) The only thing I know of that is at all effective in removing the lovely fragrance of smegma from your hands (fingernails arms elbows and wherever else it's gotten) is Excalibur. Even then, if you didn't use gloves you may find you've got an unusual personal perfume for a while. So, word to the wise, do NOT clean your horse's sheath just before an important job interview or first date
and of course, there is that one FINAL step...

11) Figure out how to explain all this to your mother (or the kid from next door, or the meter reader, or whoever else you've just realized has been standing in the barn doorway speechlessly watching the entire process.)

Now you can go and have a go...LOL

Last edited:
Ach, you guys are all wooses! Once you've PD'd a cow a few times (rectals) you'll think nothing of cleaning the sheath.

In answer to how often you need to do it - as often as it needs done.

Some horses are really dirty and can need done as much as once every few months. Others often never need it done. Just have a look the next time you see them pee-ing. If it's clean and has no flakes on it, leave well alone. It not, gentely peel of the flaky bits and squirt some baby oil or sheath cleaner up (gentle obviously) and give a clean.

Most horse don't mind it and some positively enjoy it :rolleyes:

Incedently, mares should have the folds between their udders checked regularly - it usually has a build up of waxy stuff and is an ideal site for infection to start.

of course, having cross-posted, ALF has explained the actual cleaning part sooooooo much more elegantly than I would have :D ;)

You get used to it pretty sharpish - I HAVE to do it for my course. And also manual manipulations for dystocias (difficult births). However, the pulling of lambs etc is so much more enjoyable - you usually get a nice, cute budle of fluff (mucus and blood stain I have to admit, but cute all the the same) at the end. Unlike cow PD's. Then, all you get is up to the elbow/shoulder in ****

Alf, what are you like? I've just split my sides reading that :D :D All I can say is you must have a horse with incredible patience.

I put "Mr Hand" in the exploratory way up Sennie the other day. Not sure why, although he did definitely need doing. Just checking to see how grungy he was... BUT forgot the surgical gloves didnt't I? He looked at me as though I was killing him, and my usually extremely easytohandle little horse started doing a Michael Jackson like moonwalk around his box.. me attached.. I decided discretion probably was the better part of valour and removed said now very grungy hand.

Your number 10 Alf is quite correct. It took me about half an hour of nail scrubbing before OH would let me within half a mile of him. ;)

And as for Sennie, within half a mile of the insides of his back legs has taken me about a week to achieve.

So, I don't think I'll be exploring there in the near future. Basically some horses don'tmind, some do, and some are a lot less polite than Sen in letting you know it.

Having said all that, KC, Mister Jones and Samand Blake, Alf's description is the best and most accurate you are likely to read anywhere :D

Oh, & I thought it might be worth mentioning that (and prepare to be grossed out) I haven't used a glove, and it doesn't smell that bad afterwards... I just use normal fragranced hand-washing soap to remove the stink afterwards.. a couple of times... I used gloves once, but couldn't get any of the stuff off. I might try cotten gloves next as my OH wont touch me for hours after a clean!

I use (when I remember :rolleyes: ) surgical gloves. You can buy them in boxes of a large quantity from pharmacists. So you keep the feel but can throw them away after one use. Believe me, It's definitely worth it :)

it sounds like a cave in there :p one more quick question do you apply the excalibur cleanser just on your hands,like without a sponge?and what else can i use if i dont have that or cant get it anyway?im defo gna have to give it a go soon i don't think it has been done since at least february last year and it is making that sound when they get dirty when i ride him.or is that just a myth?
ok maybe it wasnt just one more quick question :eek:

My lads dilly dong was horrid, there were black greasey bits really thick all round the shaft of his dilly dong. I donned the rubber gloves like I was going to perform an operation. I used basic sheath cleaner after finding other advised gels and stuff failed. On the bottle it says place a generous amount into the palm of your hand, but I found it better to place it on to your fingers then you can massage it into the right places better.

And you do need loads. I then left Kyle to himself for about 10min to allow the gel to take effect then using warm water I rinsed his dilly dong. Then for a final swish the hose pipe paid a visit to get rid of any hidden little bits.

The next day when I groomed after exercise Kyle's dilly dong popped out and it was all lovely and clean. :D

newrider.com