Cobs - When do they stop growing?

Sarah1710

Feb 22, 2005
Birmingham, UK.
Hi guys, been a few years since I've been on here! Nice to see some usernames I recognise still around :happy:

Anyway, as I'm now back in the horsey world, general question. In your experience, at what age do cobs stop growing upwards? My lad's 4 years old and around 14.2hh - would it be reasonable to say that's as big as he'll make, or is another inch or so a possibility?

This is the fatty in question - any excuse to show him off :smug:

IMAG0429.jpg

He's lovely, but never having had a cob, I couldn't say particularly about cobs. However, what I would say is that if he started life off on a not very good plane of nutrition and is clearly properly fed now, he may surprise you!

And looking at his bottom, it looks like his wither will go up a fair bit to meet it.

Last edited:
Joy (welsh sec d) gained about 1/2 inch between 4 and 6. Thats where she stopped height wise but she continued to fill out till her eighth year.

Cobs can vary, but I'd be surprised if he's finished at 4 & looking at that photo I think he;s got more to do.

my boy has grown a good 2 inches since I've had him and he's constanly filling out!! He's got plenty more filling out to do too.

He was just under 15hh and 3yrs 8 months when I bought him. He's not about 15.2hh and 5yrs 8 months

I have a Cob X Shire, his wither stopped at 7.. Your boy also appears bum high? His wither looks to be undefined at this point, you can make out where it is, but its fairly rounded at this stage, if that makes any sense?

Last edited:
Ooh, he's gorgeous..... I have a two and a half yr old who is 13.3 and a vay vay important HALF. I really really hope he'll reach 14.2.

I also have serious tail envy.... mine has had his eaten off by my other one :cry:

OH my! He is lovely :inlove:

My cob has is four and has grown since I bought him in June- I bought him as a 14.2 but when I measured him very soon after he arrived he was 14.3 he is now measuring 15hh 1 1/2" so has done well since I got him. He has filled out a lot too. Don't think he'd had much of a good diet before he came (didn't even know what a carrot or an apple was :frown: nor a Polo - he does now tho :bounce:)

My previous horse was 14.1hh when I bought her at 3yrs old she is now almost 15.2hh at rising 6.

Grace on the other measures up at 14.2 and a half hands, she is rising 4 and should make 15hh I would have thought, maybe a little more?

newrider.com