Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

Vibes for my friend please. Helped her move her horse to a new, very posh yard on Saturday. She got a call Sunday afternoon, to say he'd injured his leg, and was bleeding profusely. He's clipped an artery. Ended up having to take him to the hospital in liphook, and he's on the operating table now. They think he'll be ok, but she's in bits.
Oh crikey! Lots of vibes for your friend and her horse.

Reactions: Huggy
I hate electric fencing, unfortunately I need to use it here.
I hope they are not using the polyrope, I don't know how that's even allowed to be sold as OK for animals.
I had a pint that put a gig through the metal stake at the end of the poly within three weeks of getting him. Luckily healed fine.
If I remember rightly, it was tape - really don't know how he did it so badly.

Been cloudy here today.
Spent the morning actually setting up our electric fence, only to discover that the battery doesn't appear to be working, or I have done something wrong.

I actually think I need just need the sounds of a hornet flying because that gets her shifting!

Take away lunch to support local business. Trying to do that once a week if I can.

On holiday from work this week and was supposed to be going for a fun little jump with Brodie today. However had a bad reaction to a couple of my fly bites and my ankle is currently 3 times its usual size so a day doing jigsaw and reading instead. Not all that bad really so can't complain but hopefully will go down soon

• Sad
On holiday from work this week and was supposed to be going for a fun little jump with Brodie today. However had a bad reaction to a couple of my fly bites and my ankle is currently 3 times its usual size so a day doing jigsaw and reading instead. Not all that bad really so can't complain but hopefully will go down soon
Ale you might need to get those bites checked out, could me infected. Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
I like insects but not necessarily bringing them home. I put my bag down in the field and then later on went home, on getting home a lot of gatecrashers legged it! I am still finding the little bugs.

• Wow
@Huggy is there any news on how the horse is? Lots of vibes on the way, and big hugs for his owner.
Very lucky, no serious damage apart from infection. My friend's in such a state though. He 'll probably come home in 4-5 days, and she's going to move him back to his old yard, she feels she'll just be paranoid, and she's paying top dollar for use of the school etc, which is no use now. She reckons she'll have to pay out about £1000 over what she'll get from insurance. A real mess, and all I can do is take round a bottle of wine to numb the misery. Still, she still has her horse, and that's what matters.

Anti histamine Ale? Do either of your parents suffer like this? In our faimily we do. Me and the grand daughter who rides. You may need to ask a pharmacist for something. I keep a spray.

Reactions: MrA
Phone calls at just gone 6 and again at 6.30 this morning to tell me a couple of cows were out. Gate was wide open. Past someone else on route who was on his way to my house after his dog walk to also tell me. Get up to location to be informed that someone else had ushered the escaped cows back in.

We replaced all the hanging post on the gate about 6 weeks ago after it had all moved with the ground drying out. It was fine a week ago when i rode through with the horses. Gate self closed and latched beautifully.
We checked the gate and all seemed fine except the flip latch which had an extension added by wardens to allow tramper vehicles and disabled to access the site easier was sticking up.
We'd taken a fence post with us to replace a broken post near the gate in the woods, so whipped off the replace that. By the time we'd got back another walker had been through and not checked that the gate was closed behind them so latch was sticking up and gate was open again. So weve removed the latch extension. Whilst useful we were worried that the animals could rub them with there head and let themseleves out.

That the trouble with nice easy open, self close gates. People go through and never check behind them to see its closed properly.

Ive managed since then to somehow strain my neck and shoulder. Ive got a terrible pain in my neck if i turn it. Got to go to work shortly, putting it off hoping pain would go off. I massaged loads of pain relief gel in it and rested but no relief as yet. Can only think i did it when i carried the post rammer this morning. But i wasnt aware of jarring my neck or anything.

• Sad
Reactions: Kite_Rider
@chunky monkey i feel for you, you need to get someone to check tour trapezius muscles for tension and give you a good massage, I have a knot in my right one, been there since I damaged the muscle in my teens and sometimes it’s agonising. The pain is always in my neck not my shoulder and even bumps in the road in the car are excruciating, I wish I could come and sort it out for you, it’s horrible. ?
As for the gate, ? we’ve just had the environment agency onto our YO as she had to put up electric fencing because people kept leaving the gate open and the horses were getting out, she put the proper handles on it but the ramblers don’t like it and have complained, she said if they shut the bloody gates I wouldn’t need it, but they’ve made her take it down until she can get a style put in.
I can only imagine how crappy your day must feel today and hope you feel better soon x

Do you have any AFterbite? I highly recommend it, it's probably too late for your current bites but good to keep in for emergency.

Reactions: MrA
Just got in from work. We have loads of swifts flying around out here. Whats going on. They normally congregate here when they are flying off. Its a bit early yet for that. Unless we are due some horrible prolonged weather. Maybe they know something we dont.

Its been quite rainy up north so maybe theyve moved south for better climate.

Thanks everyone I don't normally react that bad and if I do I just use a hair dryer on them which stops the itching and swelling goes down quickly after that. Maybe was just the sheer quantity of bites I've got at least 20, most of which have gone a little pus/fluid filled. But all the swelling has reduced and I felt well enough to cycle to Epsom downs this morning so will just be keeping a close eye on them and keep popping the antihistamines.

newrider.com